Video Glitches

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Malcolm, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Ben Malcolm

Ben Malcolm Auditioning

Dec 20, 2002
    I'm a DVD newbie here. I recently purchased a Zenith XBV243C DVD + VCR combo unit. When I play DVDs that have lots of action sequences, like Star Wars Episode 2 and other flashy movies, there are video glitches when a scene has (typically) quick cuts/flashes. They look like scrambled video. It looks like a small portion of the screen hasn't been decoded properly. I can even pause and use the slow motion play to get to the exact frame where the glitch appears. It only happens for a fraction of a second, but I still notice it. My unit is brand new, and so are the discs I'm using. The discs are perfectly clean. Is this a known problem that occurs with only s-video out, or does using the regular rca video out usually suffer the same fate? Do I have a defective unit, or is this just one of the cons to using DVDs? Thanks a lot.
  2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons

Welcome to our forum.
    If indeed more than one brand new "official" DVDs (and they should have no visible flaws, like scratches, dirt or fingerprints) exhibit these problems, you most probably have a defective unit.

But the fact that it's always at the same places of the discs is suspicious. You should be certain about the quality of those DVDs. If they were rented or you got them from someone else who probably played these action-flicks a lot, it might be the discs anyway.
    Try playing those DVDs elsewhere: if they have the same problems on another player, it's almost certainly not your new player.

And no, it should not happen.