Video games and RPTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Jun 28, 2001

I know the dangers of playing video games on RPTV's. I was just wondering, however, if the damage is cumulative or not? I mean, if I play for an hour or two, then turn off the TV for a while, and then come back and play a few more hours, do I keep adding to the possibility of burn-in, or do I start back to zero when the TV rests for a while? I hope that question makes sense.

Also, I have the Contrast turned almost all the way down when I play. Are there any other settings (like brightness, color, tint, etc) that need to be turned down, too, or is contrast the one to watch for?

2. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Mar 4, 2002
    Aaron Gould
    Hi there,

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this too. This obviously isn't limited to video games, but any source of static images.

I'm no expert on the topic, but I would think that it would be cumulative. But like you said, if contrast is extremely low, I wonder if you'd ever experience burn-in.

Realistically, how many of today's video games have static images on-screen for *long* periods of time? I can see that scoreboards in sports games, and speedometers in racing games might be static, but they're typically never shown for the entire time without interruption.

Does anyone have insights to this question?
  3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    You do not wipe the slate clean, so to speak. The damage is cumulative; once phosphor wear occurs there is no going back. Take all the precautions you can by reducing the contrast and brightness and sharpness settings. Better yet, play your video games on another set instead of the one reserved for home theater.