Video Games and Big Screen TV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Hammons, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Don Hammons

Don Hammons Auditioning

I am thinking of purchasing a wide screen projection TV for my rec room, however I have heard some negative comments surrounding what video games would do the TV in terms of burn. Can anybody offer some commentary on this. The TV will be used for 35% TV, 35% gaming and 30% DVD watching. Are some big screen TV's more prone to problems then others? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Don,

As long as you keep the contrast and brightness below 50% you should have no problems with burn in at all. When they show you the TV on the showroom, the contrast, brightness, and color are all like 60% or so to make it look more vibrant (and this leads to burn in.)

Contrast is the real killer. I keep contrast at ~30%, brightness at 45%, and color at 45%. Play a ton of video games on this TV, DVDs, Satellite, and no problems with burn in for 18 months.

Oh yeah, because of the default settings, don't ever buy a big screen TV that was a demo model.

Good luck (gaming is awesome on big screen)...

3. liana

liana Agent

my contrast is kept at 18% (avia calibrated). RPTVs are made much better now than 10 years ago. at my last party, people had madden 03 playing in full 16x9 mode for almost 8 hours straight. i sit and down and play metroid prime for 5 hour stretches.

bottom line, just be concious of what youre doing. and fix those settings from demo scortch mode!

4. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Many current games (such as Vice City) have a "screen adjust" option which lets you move the screen area around so that it fits your TV better. I use this feature a lot to move the screen a bit so that the static images are not always in the exact same place. I also keep my contrast low. I haven't had any problems with burn-in on my 57" Sony RPTV. So far (one year plus).

--Rog

5. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Just confirming what has been said above. As long as your RPTV is calibrated and you dont leave your console on to go shopping for the day, you should be fine.

55" mitsu HD with a DC since 9/9/99. Lots of fun and no probs!!!

Mark