Video Game Tax

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by KevinRB, Jun 13, 2003.

1. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I don't live in New York, but I can't even start on what a dumb idea this is...

A bill introduced by Democratic Assemblyman Felix Ortiz in the New York State legislature to pass a special 1% tax on video games as well as TV commercials and junk food to fund an obesity prevention program may die if it cannot be passed before lawmakers adjourn for the summer on June 19. Ortiz blames New York’s growing obesity “problem” primarily on a combination of poor nutrition and sedentary activities like video games - although he does not rule out later tax increases on other things that contribute to obesity.

Ortiz claims that the approximately $1 million raised by the tax would be used to kick-start physical fitness program in New York State’s public schools and would include health promotion campaigns and establishing physical education and nutrition programs. The bill faces stiff opposition from New York’s business community who argue that New Yorkers already face crippling taxes after the legislature increased the state’s sales and income taxes and recently was dealt another major blow when Republican State majority Leader Joseph Bruno stated that he would not support the bill.

I got the story from Gamespy.

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

old news :) this was from monday i believe. I live in NYC and there isnt a chance in hell this thing will pass

capt

3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

No less stupid than "sin" taxes and smoking bans, but they do those with no problems.

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

There have been countless studies linking smoking to significant health risks to oneself, and more importantly to others. I have yet to see a single study about the dangerous effects of second-hand videogaming. Relating a videogame tax to a smoking ban seems like quite a stretch.

5. BryanK

BryanK Stunt Coordinator

Let me see if I'm understanding this? Video Games make us fat? So the politicians want to tax them and put the money toward an exercise plan? (or another raise for next year? for doing so much work by passing more bills to get more money, because they need more, for working so much to pass more bills to get more money...Wow started repeating myself. If I kept going people would start voting for me! j/k

How about putting the money into better games!!
    hologram displays! Virtual reality! Hell if we moved half as much as our characters in wolfenstein do, we'd all be looking like the Hulk by now! [​IMG]

Just a thought.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I give it 5 years until the soon-to-be infamous "Spoon Used To Eat Ice Cream" tax comes into effect for the same reasons.

7. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

An idea for a video game tax is stupid. First politicians blame video games for causing violence in kids & now they are blaming video games for making people obese. This has got to be one of the most stupidest plans I have every heard.

8. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

9. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

It pisses me off when everyone plays the blame game for the child's obesity/aggressiveness/whatever... it's the PARENTS. How about taxing them for having kids, then using that money to create a parental education program?

Mike D.

11. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

12. BryanK

BryanK Stunt Coordinator

I want to know, who gave our government the ability too grant us privileges? Or jack up the tax on things that they dont think are cool or our not in style? last I checked "WE THE PEOPLE" are supposed to be in charge and they our supposed to listen to us? Not the other way around.
    Just because something is not in the constitution does Not mean we dont have the right! If they need something to do, work part-time at MickyD's or something were people can see you, Dont be passing stupid f#cking laws,taxes and so called Privileges just so you look busy. My $.02

Have a Good Day, and dont let them push you around! [​IMG]

Bryan
    edit: spelling