What's new

Video Game Industry Gets TV Award Show (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Morgan, according to the news release this will air on The National Network, or TNN as it's listed on most cable systems.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Which means it'll be shown in squish-o-vision so that we can be positive what show we're watching

Dan B

Screenwriter
Yeah Jeff, no kidding :angry: ...and there'll probably be lots of "did you know?" trivial crap scrolling across the bottom of the screen.
-Dan
...did you know that Dan stopped watching TNN...in 1999?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I'm not sure I like some of the categories this show will have:

The network said the two-hour show will honor categories like "Hottest Hero and Heroine," "Most Addictive," "Coolest Villain," "Best Game based on a Movie," "Best Celebrity Actor and Actress in a Game" and "Game of the Year."
"Hottest Hero and Heroine?" "Best Game Based on a Movie?" Oh, brother! Can't we have a show that honors real achievements in games, please? Say, "Best Game Design" or even the standard "Best Graphics" category? This show will be a joke and further enforce the notion that this hobby belongs only to losers, wackos, and social misfits. Plus, the fact that it will be shown on TNN, a network that prides itself on its ability to piss off its audience ensures that I will never watch this disgraceful attempt to capitalize on rising the popularity of video games.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, I'll probably watch it.

What's worst? The new squish-o-vision TNN that has "pop" and jumps on every bandwagon, or the old TNN that featured shows like "Dallas" non-stop?

ChrisV

Second Unit
This is excellent news. The world needs another awards show on TV. That way we can all argue about the nominees and when they pick the winners (i.e. the nominees who ponied up the most dough or had the best advertising campaign) we can all argue about that. What better news could there be for an internet discussion forum? Not to mention the spinoff discussions about how Max Payne was wearing last year's suit and the scandal of Lara Croft showing up with Sly Cooper.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The show is a year away and some people are already trashing it. Unbelievable. :rolleyes
Personally, I'll wait until it airs and then I'll voice my opinion.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
You don't think a lot of things can change in a year? But hey, suit yourself.
Well, sure. But they haven't changed anything yet.

I understand what you are saying as far as premature criticism, but there's enough info out on this one that leads me and others to believe that it won't turn out so well.

I think most of us here would like to see this be the Oscars of Video Game Awards, not the MTV Video Game Awards. Jeffrey explains it well above.

Hopefully, they will prove us wrong when it airs (or they change categories). But until then...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks