Video from Computer

gobraves210

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
I'm looking at buying a video card for my computer so I can run the video from my computer screen to a TV set next to it. I was wondering; how is the quality? Do I have to put the video in full-screen mode, which generally makes the video look worse? I can tolerate the way it looks when it's full-screen on my computer, but does it get worse after it gets on the TV set? I'm COMPLETELY new to this and don't have much of a clue lol...Thanks in advance!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Your biggest problem in "full screen" mode is that you are scaling up the video, which is typically QVGA 240×320 or VGA 480×640 resolution, up to whatever suits your monitor, which is probably at least 768×1024. The situation is totally different when you are setting up a TV output. On my ATi card, the TV output appears as a separate graphics adapter, which I can configure either to "clone" my desktop (show the same thing, but scaled down to 480×640 NTSC resolution), or to serve as a second desktop. In this mode I can have other things in the second monitor, and move my cursor from one to the other.

Thus, I can display my videos "full screen" on this second monitor, which matches their resolution or only needs a factor-of-two scale, with pretty good quality. Of course, you can also get a card with HDTV output, but that is a completely different story.

gobraves210

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
Hi, thanks for your fast response. What kind of video card do you have? Been looking on eBay and found a few nice ones but wanted to check everything out. Any reccomendations??

Thanks!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm using an ATi All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 Pro. I don't really recommend it, though. The TV Output function and standard PC video output function are fine, but the video capture doesn't work particulalry will with ATi's supplied software, much less third-party tools. I'd recommend buying separate video and capture cards, rather than the All-In-Wonder, if you intend to do video capturing.

We have a "Computer and HTPC " (Home Theater Personal Computer) area, down under "Other Diversions" ; you might get better response there.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I ordered a VGA-to-component video cable, and will try hooking my PC up to my HDTV that way. At this time, I just using the S-video out into the TV, and it looks fine for general viewing...

gobraves210

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
I found one on eBay that loooks pretty good; so if I have a video playing, and it's not on full screen, does it show all of the other stuff too, or just the video? Do I have to have it on full screen? Thanks

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If you set up the TV output as a separate desktop, then it will only show what you put into it, such as a background. You can put a neutral grey background on it, and when you want to watch a video, drag the video window from your main desktop into the TV desktop. If it's at the right resolution, or else "full screen" zoomed in the TV desktop, you won't see anything else. Otherwise you'll see the background. In this case, the video won't even be in your main monitor.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayGeezy