What's new

Video feed source for retailer demos? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In major retailers (Fry's, Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc.) there is always a main display wall of TVs of various types/sizes, many of which are being fed the same image. What I'm always aware of is that on many of them the picture is, should I say, less than stellar--fuzzy, pixilated, etc. They just never seem to be demonstrating their true potential. Of course, there are always those newly introduced models set apart with Blu-Ray and surround speakers hooked up for special attention.

Can anybody tell me what stores are using for a feed source for thier mass displays, and why they never seem to look as good as they might? If I'm interested in a particular set, can I request a demonstration with, say, a Blu Ray or HD satellite?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If they cared about showing the TVs at their best ... they would calibrate them to some degree on the floor.

It's usually some component video or HDMI distribution system.

The source material is likely coming off a HDD and is bit starved.

You can always ask for anything and depending on the ease of hooking it up .. they might do it.

regards

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It's usually some component video or HDMI distribution system.

Really doubt that these days. They usually have something stored on hard drive feeding an 8VSB or QAM modulator, distribute using coax RF and using the TV's digital tuners.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I suppose not, but Best Buy, Fry's, and Circuit City (before they croaked) at least in U.S. were all using RF distribution for their HD video demos last few years at least. Don't know about HH Gregg. Easier since less wiring, can use existing wiring, plus you can distribute multiple channels on a single cable. Is Canada that much behind the times?

Anyway original poster can always find out which way the store is using by hitting the "info" or "input" button on the display to figure out whether the feed is on the tuner or from an external input. As for why it doesn't look good, the source material sometimes isn't all that great to begin with, and it may be when they split the feed to two dozen sets they may not have the amp levels right & the sets are getting a marginal signal to tune to. The feed at my local Best Buy usually looks pretty good though ...

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Thanks, guys. I've been paying particular attention to the latest crop of DLPs. ShopNBC is constantly plugging the new Mitsubishi, and even their on-air demo looks pretty impressive. In stores though they usually look kinda fuzzy, although motion is still much smoother than even the latest LCDs.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they're playing off of a hard drive, like a Tivo but designed more for stuff like this, and the bitrate's always too low so the picture goes blocky whenever anything moves. Makes it impossible to judge a TV's performance in the store- I once commented about how bad the Best Buy instore material looked to a sales drone who replied- get ready for it- "But it's still High Definition."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks