What's new

Video Essentials vs. Digital Video Essentials, difference? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ants have invaded my DVD players.

The area temperatures (beaches, inland, deserts) are hovering between the mid-80s to well past 100. In, my goodness, a desert town!

And we in Los Angeles call this "hot."

Jan, the lights are out in Castle Briggs, the fan on, and the computer is up and running. It feels great to me. Perfect. Dry heat. My favorite kind of weather. (I am not kidding.)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Well, for one it will have setup sections for DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX and be encoded without interlace filtering and flagged for 480p (it will look its best on progressive scan players and HD displays).

The other mentioned new features are a test for the chroma bug and (possibly) Y/C delay that plague many a player.

Dan

dan fritzen

Second Unit
This is deifnitely worth it if you had the original VE and not Avia, like myself. The orignal was basically the laserdisc version on DVD, whereas this one is made for progressive and HD.

Plus it is supposed to include mroe 50 new test patterns

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i like this thread.

i have both avia and the ve dvd's but am thinking of upgrading to the new ve. it will beless then $20, as the first one was nearly $50.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Well, it's hot and humid around here. Three 1/5 days of the year, it turns truly cold and the wind chill drives it right into your bones, but the other 361 4/5 days of the year, it's hot and humid. :) This is what we call seasonal change in Florida.*

How, though, fairs the weather for this DVD release? That'll depend. As Dan pointed out, the first VE was (reportedly -- I haven't used it) a series of analogue (D1 or D2?) menus taken from the same video master used for the laserdisc version. Avia, on the other hand, uses menus created in the digital realm specifically for DVD (or so it was reported -- I have used Avia, in fact I swear by it, and this appears true to my eye).

So, my best guess (not having seen either VE or DVE) is that they've recreated their menus digitally for the greater precision this allows in adjustment. Whether, in so doing, they've bested Avia, who to my understanding did this in the first place for DVD, remains to be seen in an A/B comparison.

In the meantime, I still highly, loudly, and passionately recommend Avia to every home theater owner. There are great oceans of VE (even analogue VE) enthusiasts who have been praising that name since the days of laserdisc (where I believe they were a pioneering, and indeed the only, game in town in making professional audio and video adjustment resources available to consumers) and have continued doing so unabated on DVD, so take my recommendation with the knowledge that I've never used VE. I can only express my great satisfaction with Avia, which has been of immeasurable help in fine tuning my display (both the UM and risky, only-meant-for-professional-use, if-you-permanently-ruin-your-television-don't-blame-anyone-but-yourself SM).

Now where's my glass of lemonade? :)

*I exaggerate only very slightly, for effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks