What's new

Video Essentials vs. Digital Video Essentials, difference? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference? if i am using it primarilly for monitor setup is it worth getting the "digital"/newer release? i have allreadygot ahold of the original one.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
wow.. this is a popular forum, i put this up last night and its allready on the second sheet. all i need is a quick answer.

thanks guys/gals

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a couple of words of advice.

What if no one on the forum has it yet, or has read your message, or tried it out? Did you even do a search to see if this topic had been covered? This is a forum, not a chat, so don't expect immediate answers. And when it's been a whole twelve hours without a response, don't get snotty about it either. That just pisses people off. A simple "bump" after 24 hours would have done nicely.

I'm tired of people that do this here and at the AVS Forum and then get all defensive when they read a post like mine. If you don't like that we move at a less-than-MTV pace here, then buzz off. There's plenty of people here are willing to be nice about any questions they have.

ETA: Did you even look at the release date? If not, I'll put it here for you.

"PRE-ORDER: Ships when stock arrives
Scheduled for Release on 9/2/2003"

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Kyle, I just sold my Video Essentials and will pick up the new Digital one, reading about the making of it on the website convinced me it will be better, it would be nice to get in 1080i or 720p but I will wait for HD DVD or Sony's equivalent.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Jesse, while I agree with you about not bumping before 24 hours, I didn't read anything snotty in Kyles comment. Just a comment that the forum is so popular that so many new topics had been posted since his in such a short amount of time. If anything that should be a compliment and testament to the success of this forum.

Ultimately your post comes off as the snotty one, a simple 'Hi Kyle, the disc doesn't come out for 2 more months, try back then.' would have been appropriate, intead of taking the elitist tone and attacking the poor guy.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I definitely agree with Jeff here. Kyle wasn't being snotty, he was just commenting on the fact that his post had been pushed to the second page. So he was bumping to keep it on the first...nothing wrong with that.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

Maybe the guy was hoping that someone else would have read some info on the product of sorts. It's not new that we often know information about a product even before it streets.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Simmer down, all.

First, it's a hot summer and people are spending time outdoors instead of in front of their computers. Hence, traffic is slower than usual here. Second, disregard advice about "simple bumping" of threads. We do not want any bumping, period.

Video Essentials is available in a new edition, Digital Video Essentials. It is now in both D-VHS D-Theater (in both 1080i and 720p flavors) and on DVD. Much improved over the earlier edition.

Now, let's be nice to each other. Thank you.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Matt, and Tom--thank you for retrieving my head from where the sun don't shine.

I'm sorry, Kyle. Chalk it up to a really bad morning and a couple threads over at AVS. When I read the message, I took "at the second sheet already" to mean a sarcastic jab at the length of the thread, not it's place in the queue. I should have thought about it before I started typing. Please accept my humble and public apology.

*Hangs head in shame*

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For those of us that do not yet have D-VHS (D-Theatre @ 720p/1080i) but only have DVD (480i/480p), is there any advantage with Digital Video Essentials and does the cost justify the benefits? This is a natural YES when HD-DVD comes out of course but what about now?

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
wow... this has gotten a little heated.

There is no need, nor reason for you, Jesse, to believe that you should, in any way appologise. Everyone has times, days, and some even lives where things are not all too pleasant. I myself often have such days. I also beleive that most of us are posting while we are at work, which is not the most relaxing enviornment.
I, myself, however do need to apologize. I appologise to Jack, for not knowing the forum rules/expectations as well as i had believed myself to. I am, of course reffering to the "bumping up" of my post. I have only been a member for a few months, and have maybe even been taking advantage of the forum itself, by not usually responding to other's threads, and simply requesting information for myself. I have several threads running now on other forums, that are purely requests of this sort. This is due to the fact that i am fairly new to the world of the home theater, which has me eager to progress in such a satisfying lifestyle. Of course, though, i had no idea that this thread would become such an issue, in any way, that 2 Administrators would have reply to it, and that others would be called for information regarding it. I know now to check release dates and other such information regarding hardware/software before seeking advice here.
Anyway, i sincerely hore that niether my, or any other's actions (words) in this thread will be seen as a reflection on the character of the poster's.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In my book, this all falls under the category of "let bygones be bygones." No apology required or requested. Peace. Love. Harmony. And all that!

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Dan, What are you talking about? "Sony's equivalent"? "Wait for HD DVD"?
I just meant I will pass on D Theater for getting a 720p or 1080i copy of DVE and wait for HD-DVD or Sony Blu Ray. Sony is not proposing the Blu ray for the successor to DVD suposedly because they don't want to pay royalties for the DVD name. On the other thread about the Sony Blu Ray.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Jack,

Okay, I worked my unemployed butt off all morning doing yard work for a few bucks, then I pull into a left turn lane to grab a quick bite at McDonald's, and THEN I read the sign that says "No left turn 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m." and by then traffic is zooming by me on Pacific Coast Highway and the only logical thing to do is to make the illegal left-hand turn (now tell me that a no-left-turn lane into McDonald's between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. isn't entrapment!) and of course a motorcyle cop pulls me over and now I have to pay a fine bigger than all the money I earned working my butt off laying sod in the heat all morning AND go to traffic school to keep my car insurance from going up, and then I drive an hour down to Torrance to pay the bill and the address on the ticket is wrong but I find the right place anyhow and stand in line and when I finally get to the ticket window the gal tells me that I CAN'T pay my ticket for another two weeks, and besides that the heat wave has driven all of the ants in L.A. into my house and I've been battling them for the past three days and I THINK THE ANTS ARE WINNING so don't tell me to f---ing cool off!

Not that I've had anything to do with this thread....

Jan
who does not have air conditioning

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
niether do i... then i go to work and hear everyone complaining that its "too cold in here".... sometimes i dont like to leave.

Kyle
The one resposible for this whole mess

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Shite, I missed a fight! :angry:

Guys, you can't properly flame without the :rolleyes:smiley. All you will end up with are three or four belligerent posts, followed by apologies. What's the point?

If you're gonna do it, do it right, throw in a couple of :rolleyes.

And for the love of god, PM me next time.

--
Holadem - The above is for information purposes only and is no substitue for legal advice. We are not responsible for suspension or loss of membership resulting from the use of this information. Batteries not included.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
OK, I'm not kidding. The ants are swarming over everything. We've been battling them in the kitchen, but now they're all over my desk...my phone...my computer. I think they're trying to cut off our communications. I'm tired, but I don't dare sleep. They're coming out of the walls, out of the baseboards. It can't just be the heat. It's something else. It's a portent. A man crashed his car into a farmer's market in downtown Santa Monica this afternoon. The news pointedly did not mention ants. The government is keeping secrets. Something is about to happen. Something big. The ants are only the beginning. Where are they all coming from???

So long, friends. God be with you. God save us all.

Jan

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I suffered through all of these "replies" just to discover that there is no answer to the original question! :eek:

I am also curious as to whether there are any real advantages to the Digital VE over the prior release when it comes to the DVD (D-Theater is a completely different story).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks