What's new

Video Essentials-Should I calibrate in squeeze mode or 4:3? (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Title says it all. When I calibrate my Toshiba 36hfx71 TV should I do it while in squeeze mode(since 95% of the dvds I watch are anamorphic) or should I calibrate in full(4:3) screen mode. Or does it even make a difference either way?

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well - seeing that everybody is tryign to talk at once . . . . . .

I would guess it does not make a difference.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I've read that the contrast should be turned down slightly when in squeeze mode as the scan lines are closer together. That being the case, I calibrated in squeeze mode so that the contrast is not too high and I don't notice the reduced contrast in full-screen mode. Either way, I doubt that any differences are critical.

Steve K.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Had to give the VE crew a chance to support their disc first.

Plan to use a slightly lower contrast setting for anamorphic viewing. In anamorphic squeeze mode, you are delivering the same amount of beam energy into a smaller area of phosphor. By dropping down contrast you can keep the energy/phosphor area constant and avoid accelerating phosphor wear going into squeeze mode). Otherwise, you wear the phosphors faster in anamorphic mode. This assumes the set is doing an anamorphic squeeze by bring scan lines closer together. If the set does the AR change by rescaling the image and keeping the physical scan line spacing constant then the same contrast setting would yield equal phosphor load in either AR.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've read that the contrast should be turned down slightly when in squeeze mode as the scan lines are closer together.
I've heard the same thing, and Master Kuo confirms this. To me it just makes sense to calibrate in the mode that is used to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread