Video Essentials and progressive problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Likens, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

I have an Elite 45A DVD player and recently upgraded to the X1 projector. This is my first opportunity to use the 45A in progressive mode. I viewed several movies before deciding to do some fine tuning with VE.

I popped the disc into the player and nothing happens. I check and recheck my settings and everything seems fine. Why would movies play fine but VE does not? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Mike

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sounds like you have a defective copy of Video Essentials. If other discs play just fine but VE doesn't, that kind of narrows things down. Or, the Pioneer may simply have difficulty reading that specific disc (sadly, even six years after the DVD-Video format's debut, some discs and some players simply do not get along together).

3. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Let me try to clarify some information. I've used VE on the 45A in the past but only in interlaced mode. That's why I believe it has something to do with the progressive output. In the menu there is a setting for progressive video output in which I set to "Auto". There is also a front panel button I engaged for progressive. I'm confused. I guess I'll have to order Digital VE to calibrate my X1.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

The menu functions determines if the 45A will automatically switch to progressive mode mode when it encounters anamorphic content (if memory serves). This is useful if you have a TV that locks into full mode for ALL progressive content.

I do not know how VE is flagged.

I do not have that on, since I have a set that does not have that problem. I would doubt that this has anything to do with your problem.

In any event, the easy thing to try is to turn that off, then it should rely on the front panel switch.

You don't say how you are connected to your projector, but if you are using S-Video, there is no output in progressive mode. You can only use progressive with component cables.

I have used VE on my 45A in progressive mode via component cables, and it works fine, so there is either an issue where your particular 45A does not play nice with that disc, or we have missed something in the set-up.

BGL