Video Essentials and PAL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ch, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

I'm still a newbie when it comes to the video side of HT so go easy on me please! [​IMG]
    I'm looking to purchase a calibration DVD (long overdue I know), and it seems that AVIA and VE are the 2 top ones to look out for. Since I live in a PAL country, would buying VE (an NTSC disc) be a bad move? That is, would the settings that I calibrate my Panny 32" direct-view TV using VE/AVIA in NTSC mode be different to the settings for the PAL standard on contrast, brightness, sharpness settings etc (no tint for PAL)?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mike
    EDIT: both my dvd player and tv can handle NTSC signals

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

There is a PAL version coming out of VE last I heard. So if you've survived this far, perhaps you should put the purchase plans on hold for a while.

Of course you could get AVIA now and get VE later, I understand they both do some things better than the other.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I don't know to what extent the PAL standards differ from the NTSC standards.
    It is better if the TV set memorizes the PAL calibrations separately from the NTSC calibrations so you don't have to keep recalibrating when switching between the two formats, but then you can't calibrate for PAL using the NTSC test disk.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm