Video Editor?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Nov 17, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm looking for something that can edit Video as easilly as Cool Edit can edit Audio. Is there such a product out there? I can use my ATI TV Tuner to record and re-edit audio programs recorded on the radio, but to edit out commercials on a pre taped TV show would be a bit more difficult..

Thanks..trying to ditch the VCR completly up here [​IMG].

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think Vegas (which is now discontinued) is a good SIMPLE editor-- like Sound Forge (very similar to cool edit)-- Vegas was Sonic FOundry's answer to overly complex editor systems.

-VInce

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Vegas was bought by Sony Media. I also recommend it.

//Ken

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've been an avid user of Media Studio Pro for close to seven years now. I'll even put many of its functions up against Premiere.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

What's your budget?

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have to say I've used both Media Studio and Vegas at this point- and vegas is definately easier- although I stick with media studio because it reads more kids of input video types.

But if you're just looking at editing DV clips, then Vegas is real easy to use.

-Vince

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

My Budget is goodwill and Christmas gifts respectivly, unless my net buisness picks up [​IMG]. So I can't splurge as much as I'd like. Once I convert all my home made tapes to DVD, the VCR is going bye bye.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Oh how does Vegas disrespect me, let me count the ways...

Vegas has tons of issues for me, down to not reading some MPEG output from TMGEnc (and DVD Architect also has problems with them)-- Vegas has hiccuped and will flat out not recognize tons of files that will otherwise play on my system in media player.

And, of course, since I was using Workshop from ULEAD for DVD layout- it was more compatible with output from their editor.

-Vince

10. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

VirtualDub is excellent for AVI chopping... free too.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're on a budget and aren't looking for anything too powerful, I'd cautiosly recommend Pinnacle Studio 8. It's only $100, and can be found sometimes with a rebate. It's finicky and buggy as hell, but there's a great online forum where you can get help with issues.

Make sure you buy from a place with a good return policy, because it has problems with LOTS of computers. I have to jump through hoops to use it, using a separate program to capture from DV tape, and using Nero to burn my DVDs. However, I've had lots of success with the video editing and DVD authoring of Studio8.

Recommended with caution.

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

*scratching head* Studio 8 came with my AV/DV bridge and I have not had any indication of it being finicky or buggy. I have helped other video editing newbies to use Studio 8 and they have not had any problems either.

Media Studio Pro is still immensely more powerful than Studio, but I have to say that I've never experienced bugs with Studio 8. Of course, I also make sure to have the newest upgrade installed, which not everyone does, although I don't know if that applies to your experience or not.

Ken, to expand on what Vince said, Media Studio Pro was the first video editing package that I know of that directly supports MPEG-2 (for both reading and exporting) as part of its core functionality. In other words, MPEG-2 has been native to MSP since version 6.0 without the use of a plug-in. I've been able to make DVD-ready MPEG-2 files natively for a few years now. Even Premiere can't make that claim.

The newest version (7.0) even allows the creation of 16:9 MPEG-2 files, complete with a preview screen in 16:9, rather than forcing you to make an educated guess with a 4:3 preview frame.