Video Editing Software for Windows

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Giusto, May 21, 2003.

1. Michael Giusto

Does anyone know of a real good video editing software application that I can use to edit video captured with my Sony DV camcorder?

I can already get it connected to my PC using fire-wire and have played around with Microsoft's Movie Maker which is basically worthless. I would like to overlay titles, overlay scenes, use special effects to fade in and fade out from one scene to another and other video editing tricks.

I've found a couple apps. online so far like Adobe Premiere and Ulead Video Studio 7.0, but just wanted to check here to see if anyone has any experience with some of these programs and to give me a step in the right direction as to what to look at.

Thanks so much!

Michael

2. Evan.G

Evan.G Extra

VirtualDub does not do the more advanced features of the others, but it is much much better for getting clips ready assuming that they are in avi or mpeg format. It will allow you to crop sections and get them ready for the others to do the transitions without processing. Ulead sucks for such tasks.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Premiere is one of the standards, I find it to be clumsy and not too easy for beginners. I really like VEGAS from sonic Foundry- vegas isn't as widely accepted for editing- but I find all of sonic foundry's products to be real intuitive... and if nothing else Vegas audio ability kicks the pee out of premiere (and Vegas tag teams very well with Sound Forge!)

-Vince

4. Michael Giusto

Thanks for the replies so far. While I was away I went searching for other apps and came across Ulead MediaStudio Pro. Is that much better than Video Studio? Video Studio sells for around $100 while MediaStudio Pro ranges in the $500's, right around what Adobe Premiere goes for.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I also prefer Vegas instead of Premiere. Never tried any of the Ulead products.

//Ken

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Although I use Pinnacle Studio Deluxe for capturing, I use Media Studio Pro v6.5 exclusively for editing my DV files and I love it, particularly since it supports MPEG-2 natively. (I'll be upgrading to v7.0 as soon as funds allow.)

It supports just about as many audio and video streams as you want to throw into it; it has a very easy-to-use timeline-style layout; and it has a number of overlays and scene transition functions built into it. Version 7 also supports 16:9 encoding in order to make 16:9 Enhanced DVDs.

Premiere has more support behind it with respect to 3rd party plug-ins, but I find MSP to be far easier to use and the built-in MPEG-2 is a god-send if you're going to be making DVDs.

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I use Avid xPress-DV but you're talking quite a bit more than $500 for the application it is quite the professional app. My favorite thing about Avid is that anything you do you can play back real time without waiting for the app to render it even multiple effects at once. Avid really is as close to a full production facility you could have in an app without buying a better piece of Avid Software.

8. John_Berger

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're looking for something with good basic capabilities for under $100, take a look at Pinnacle Studio 8. It's very finicky and doesn't work well with many configurations, but for what it does, it is very good in my experience. Extremely easy to use and contains all the features you mention in your initial post.

Pinnacle also hosts a Consumer Web Board where knowledgable users hang out and share their expertise with others who need help. Sometimes things can get nasty ont he web board, but it is very helpful.

Their tech support is dreadful, I have never gotten an answer form them.

The software is VERY finicky. On my machine the capture function doesn't work. I have to use something else for capture - but everything else seems to work fine most of the time. Read the reviews on Amazon.com and look at the web board.

For the modest price Studio8 does everything I need and more for DVD and VideoCD authoring and video editing.

10. John_Berger

Studio 8 is good. I can't say that I have any problems with it. It will need some patches, particularly if you use the AV/DV bridge version, but they're available on Pinnacle's web site.

The only part about Pinnacle Studio that I find to be limiting is that you are restricted on one entry for each particular overlay - one audio, one image, etc. - at any given time. But I believe that Video Studio also has that restriction. If you plan on doing anything like multiple overlays, scrolling credits, or things like that, you can forget Pinnacle Studio and Ulead Video Studio.

But - again - if basic editing is all that you need then I would agree that Studio 8 is also a good candidate.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You can get Premiere much cheaper than the MSRP if you buy it in a packaged bundle with a piece of hardware, like a firewire card.

This is the package I bought some time ago. It comes with Premiere 6.0 FULL with its own serial# and a buncha other software too.