Video Editing & DVD-Authoring Software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay Taylor, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

I am currently burning some home movies to DVD using the software that was provided with my Sony DVD burner. The burner came with MyDVD 4.0 for DVD-authoring and ArcSoft ShowBiz for video editing.

ShowBiz and MyDVD don’t work together very well especially when trying to retain chapter stops or make motion menu backgrounds & buttons using video edited by ShowBiz.

TechTV recently recommended Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0. Although Sony claims that the DVD-authoring function is incorporated into Screenblast, unfortunately DVD-authoring is accomplished using the included separate program MyDVD 4.5. Some of the reviewers complain that the video edited by Screenblast is not completely compatible with MyDVD, especially with chapter stops, menus and video quality.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good video editing & DVD-authoring software package? I especially want the video editing and DVD-authoring to be well matched.

Jay Taylor

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I've been using Pinnacle Studio 8 and have been pretty happy with the results. When I checked the web, however, it seems that a lot of people are having problem with it (fortunately I'm not one of them).

vcdhelp.com has some pretty good info about the various packages.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 too and like it. I'll soon be upgrading to the new Pinnacle Studio 9 as you can edit and render effects in 16x9 enhanced for Widescreen TVs!

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

5. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Thanks guys.

Have any of you tried Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004 or Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0?

Jay Taylor

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Media Studio Pro 7 and DVD Workshop, both from Ulead, already support 16:9 editing and authoring. I've used both of them exclusively for many years.

7. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I have to do a lot of quick and dirty DV to DVD turnaround tranfers, and I find that the program neoDVD4 allows me to digitize a two and a half hour, put in basic chapters stops and and burn to a DVD at a decent resolution in about four hours.

I tried upgrading to neoDVDplus 5, but I keep getting an "out of memory" message, even though I have 1GB of RAM.

I have also used Ulead Disc Creator 3, but have run into problems with projects larger than 4.3GB.

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Do they allow rendering of special effects in 16:9? That's what I'm looking for. Studio 8 and below you could splice and author in 16:9, you just couldn't add special effects.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

In Media Studio Pro 7 when you define that the project is for a 16:9 DVD, the Preview window automatically adjusts itself to a 16:9 frame to give you the proper view. All special effects are done the same way from what I've toyed with. You might need to make some adjustments to the X/Y parameters, but I have not run into any major problems with any of the filters or transitions under 16:9.

For DVD Workshop, you have to make some .ini modifications to activate the 16:9 function, but it is there. Now, I will confess that I've never used DVD Workshop for 16:9 DVD creation. I used Sonic DVDit Professional Edition for 16:9, but since I switched to DVD Workshop I have not yet come across the need for a 16:9 DVD project.