What's new

Video DAC's (1 Viewer)

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Do the DVD Players with higher video DAC's improve interlaced playback or just progressive scan mode?

I see the Sony 755 has 108Mz/12bit vidio Dacs. Will this improve video in interlaced mode? Does it require something to be recorded in 108/12 like audio?

Thanks for your help.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
When Secrets of Home Theater did their famous comparison of PS players, they noticed that there was some common artifacts on machines with 25 mhz chips that disappeard when the chips went above 50 mhz.

Having a faster CPU gives the software designers more cycles to do more interesting/better decoding of the video (and audio). While the report focused on progressive scan players - I have to assume that there are some artifacts that a faster chip set would solve even on interlace.

So my guess is Yes: between 2 players the unit with faster chips is likely to be 'better'. But remember - we are talking about small, subtile reduction in artifacts. Not huge differences. You may need a 80" projection system to even notice the difference among same generation players.

Also: people have used both Sony and Toshiba players and noticed something. Sony machines tend to have a bit softer picture while Toshiba seems sharper. But the Toshiba players show much more artifacts. So it seems to be a design decision at Sony to be softer, but artifact free.

Hope this helps.

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your response Bob. I remember sony softer, tosh sharper back when I was researching widescreens. I am going to check out Secrets too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks