1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Connectors... which to use?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by NolanJ, May 3, 2004.

1. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

Is a DVI cable preferred over component cables when connecting an HDTV to a cable box?

2. Rex Overbey

Rex Overbey Auditioning

DVI is the preferred video output since it is digital.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Nitpicking, but DVI is not preferred "just because it is digital." It can provide higher quality resolutions cleaner, and that it is digital can provide a benefit, which can be extremely significant with digital fixed pixel displays; but that it is digital in and of itself does not automatically make it better.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i finally got around to doing some dvi vs. component comparison.

the quality via the dvi was better, but only slightly so. if dvi was a 10, component was a 9.

the dvi connection gave a slightly sharper and brighter picture. it wasn't a whole lot, but it was definitely there. so i say if you can run dvi, go for it.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ted: what are you using as your display? DVI will lead to the most significant benefits with digital displays as mentioned. With a CRT, benefits may be quite minimal.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good point chris. i should have mentioned what gear i'm using. i have a mits rptv.

however, at bb, we have the same player as mine (samsung 931) hooked up to the samsung 50" dlp via dvi. i gotta admit the picture didn't really blow me away. but the gear wasn't calibrated, etc.