Video Component Switching???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich_R, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Rich_R

Rich_R Extra

Can someone please explain video component switching to me?

Specifically, what can't I do with a Kenwood VR-6070 and an HDTV since the video component switching bandwith is only 10mhz on the receiver?

How do you work around this issue? Tx.

2. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

I have read quite a few threads lately about this. If i remember right you need around 33mhz or so to use a switch with very little distortion. Do some searchs and you will probably find the same threads, there is a great one where a manufactor explains all this.

3. Jason Cald****

4. Rich_R

Rich_R Extra

Thanks...good thread!

So if I understand this correctly now, the bottom line is if I go with the Kenwood VR-6070 and an HDTV, I need to make sure the HDTV has enough inputs to handle all my video sources.

5. Jason Cald****

Or get one of the 3 switchers mentioned in that thread. I am probably going to order the Audio Authority one this week and use it to switch my Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube components hookups.

6. Rich_R

Rich_R Extra

So what do I really lose if I get a receiver with component switching that only has a bandwith of 10 mhz but I also have an HDTV with several sets of component inputs???

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It's generally superior to feed the video straight to the TV. But the problem:

- Try switching from one source to another. This involves the "remote juggle". Grab the TV remote to go to a different VIDEO source, then grab the receiver remote to go to a different AUDIO source.

You have to do this each time when you dont run both audio & video through the receiver.

A nice programable remote becomes a good solution. Something like the One-For-All 7 with the 4 macro buttons can be programmed to do this for you.

8. SamCCC

SamCCC Auditioning

this may be a dumb question but i'm new here... if i connect my dvd to my receiver and tv using component cables... and i connect my digital cable box to my receiver and tv using S video... then don't i have to "remote juggle" anyway to switch the sources on both the tv and receiver?

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer