What's new

Video Component Switching??? (1 Viewer)

Rich_R

Grip
Can someone please explain video component switching to me?

Specifically, what can't I do with a Kenwood VR-6070 and an HDTV since the video component switching bandwith is only 10mhz on the receiver?

How do you work around this issue? Tx.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
I have read quite a few threads lately about this. If i remember right you need around 33mhz or so to use a switch with very little distortion. Do some searchs and you will probably find the same threads, there is a great one where a manufactor explains all this.

Rich_R

Grip
Thanks...good thread!

So if I understand this correctly now, the bottom line is if I go with the Kenwood VR-6070 and an HDTV, I need to make sure the HDTV has enough inputs to handle all my video sources.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Or get one of the 3 switchers mentioned in that thread. I am probably going to order the Audio Authority one this week and use it to switch my Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube components hookups.

Rich_R

Grip
So what do I really lose if I get a receiver with component switching that only has a bandwith of 10 mhz but I also have an HDTV with several sets of component inputs???

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's generally superior to feed the video straight to the TV. But the problem:

- Try switching from one source to another. This involves the "remote juggle". Grab the TV remote to go to a different VIDEO source, then grab the receiver remote to go to a different AUDIO source.

You have to do this each time when you dont run both audio & video through the receiver.

A nice programable remote becomes a good solution. Something like the One-For-All 7 with the 4 macro buttons can be programmed to do this for you.

SamCCC

Auditioning
this may be a dumb question but i'm new here... if i connect my dvd to my receiver and tv using component cables... and i connect my digital cable box to my receiver and tv using S video... then don't i have to "remote juggle" anyway to switch the sources on both the tv and receiver?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
then don't i have to "remote juggle" anyway to switch the sources on both the tv and receiver?
Yes.

The problem is you have 1 source (DVD) going to 2 different outputs (Receiver, TV). You now have to keep the outputs in sync with what you are trying to watch.

This makes it hard for the family to use. And what do you think your spouse will say when you propose a new piece of gear when she is frustrated with the current setup?

So sometimes making the system simple to use will insure domestic harmony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks