Video CD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertCharlotte, Mar 27, 2002.

1. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

So how come my DVD player which can play CDs can't play VCDs but my piece of crap eMachines PC can? Is this really a licensing issue? Admittedly, I have a budget DVD player (Toshiba SD1700), but I've seen $99 players that would play VCDs.

2. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I don't really know the technical aspescts of why a VCD won't play in your DVD player, but I do know that a lot of older players won't play them. It's not a licensing issue since VCDs contain no copy protection. I used to have a cheap RCA player that I bought in 99' and it wouldn't play them. Recently I bought a JVC DVD player and it has played every disc I have put into it. Check out VCDHelp.com, they have a lot of info on VCD and may have the answers your looking for.

3. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I don't know about this player, but there are players than can play VCDs but not CD-Rs or CD-RWs. So, it you had a commercially-pressed VCD (almost unheard of in the US, but very common in Asia), it would play. A VCD you make yourself would not play.

This is exactly the case with my JVC XV-D723GD player.

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Wow, I had forgotten I asked this question. :b

I have some discs that are, to the best of my knowledge, "commercially-pressed." They are of the, um, over-18 persuasion and are labeled "Compact Disc Digital Video."

Does that not make them VCDs, or is there some other designation for this type of disc?

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Yes, indeed you have a pressed VCD. Alas, not all DVD players play VCDs. VCDs are encoded with MPEG-1, and the electronics in most DVD players (DVDs are MPEG-2) can also handle MPEG-1, but that's not strictly speaking a requirement, so it's not always included. Or, it could be a simple matter of the logic to recognize the disc never being programmed in.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Basically many of the old decks did not recognize the format, even though the hardware was capable of playing them

All players since 2000 that I've seen recognize VCD's data structure

7. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

And nowadays it's good to look for one that plays SUPER Video CDs. I guess for SVCD it *is* a licensing thing. Your E-machine will play them, but only with PowerDVD or similar software.

8. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer 525 plays VCDs without problems. Even my first

generation Philips DVD player(only DD at that time) played

without glitches.

As Marc mentioned it is indeed very common over here,in

fact it's a craze mainly due to the price difference between

DVD & VCD.

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

When a DVD player is hacked to play multi-region,some programs in the firware will disable certain features on some players...such as VCD playback.This is very common.Go to www.dvd.reviwer.co.uk for more details on this...