Video Cards

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DevinL, Mar 1, 2002.

1. DevinL

DevinL Extra

I've noticed that a lot of people here have been using the Radeon as their display card for HTPC.

Are there any other brands out there that perform as well? My feeling is that I would prefer a card that performs well in 3d gaming (a la Nvidia) and has the same quality as the Radeon.

Why is the Radeon so preferred anyway? ATI hasn't had a good track record in supporting their products with good drivers.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The basic concepts is that the math needed for 3d gaming type video is not the same type of performance needed for good video based scaling. The Radeon excels at scaling DVD material (full motion video, etc)-- while the Nvidia does better at gaming type polygon math.

There has been a lot of talk about this on the HTPC area on AVS-- some guys have successfully run a dual boot system with an AGP Radeon and a PCI Nvidia to give the best of both worlds.

In my opinion- I'd rather build a dedicated HTPC for DVD playback and not run the risk of problems associated with running a million other apps- if you want video games, buy a video game machine. But, I'm old fashioned and have NEVER seen/used my PC for gaming-- if I want to play games, I buy a playstation.

-V

3. DevinL

DevinL Extra

I already have a PC for gaming. I was just thinking of the wow factor when friends come over. I'm getting tired of them extolling the virtues of PS2/GC/XBOX over the PC. If I could put up a 1024x768 resolution with surround sound game on a big screen, I'd never hear from them again.
    Then again, they may never leave my home again. [​IMG]
    Hmm, instead of dual booting, I suppose I could just run a cable to each PC.
    Something to think about when I try to put together a WAF friendly HT budget. Thanks.

4. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I have never been that involved in computer games, so I am with Vince on this one. I am planning on getting the All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 for DVD, and video recording. Of course you can still play games wih it, but from my research it's not as fantastic as the Nvidia cards.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

You might want to know that the newly-released nVidia GeForce4 Ti4400/Ti4600 chipsets now support both Hardware Motion Compensation and Inverse Discrete Cosine Transformation for DVD decoding, which means the latest nVidia chipsets will have no compromises playing the latest 3-D games and doing successful assist of DVD playback decoding. [​IMG]

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I agree with Ray, the new GeForce 4's should give you the best of both worlds. Nvidia has much better driver support than ATI. If these new GeForce4's can assist DVD playback as good as the ATI's then Nvidia based cards are the way to go for HTPC/gamers out there.