What's new

Video cards... which one do you all recommend? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I may be wrong, but I believe you can use the Detonator drivers for that card. You can find the latest "approved" drivers at www.nvidia.com
Click on 'downloads' and find the driver for the XP OS.
Can anyone verify my statements?

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll be the only voice in the wilderness and say that I love my ATI card (32MB Radeon). I build my roommate's computer and despite having an equivalent GeForce2 card and a faster processor, my system kicks hers both visually and in framerates. I've been running stable for almost a year now (after ATI's admittedly horrid drivers last year).

YMMV. To be brutally honest, I would recommend the GeForce3 if you don't like to tweak and you're not all that concerned about how it looks. They're good cards and you'll probably have better luck with them.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The GeFORCE 4's are to be costing in the range of $150 - $400....From what I am hearing the MX's aren't as castrated(sp?) this go around as they were with the GeFORCE 2 MXs.

KevinA

Agent
get a good geforce3 ti200 like gainwards and it easily overclocks to ti500 speeds for a helluva lot less cash! Matter a'fact the only difference between the ti200 and ti500 is clock/memory speed setting....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The benchmarks came in someplace (forgot where) for the GF4MX and they were below the GF3 Ti500s. But they are also priced less than the Ti5 and I think the performance was on par or greater than a Ti200.

Still, waiting for a GF4 makes sense even if you're not buying one. It will drive down the price of the current video cards...

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm going to go ahead with a Geforce3 card. I see that Best Buy has a Visiontek Geforce3 TI 200 64M in their flyer that after the mail-in rebate and my $100 gift card will only cost me $50. Can any of you comment on the quality of Visiontek video cards?

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I have a VisionTek Ti200 card and have been very happy with it. Since I was upgrading from the GTS that came with my Dell I just poped in the card right out of the box and there were no setup issues at all (started right up since I already had the nVidia drivers). It overclocks nicely, I am running mine at 220MHz core (the base is 175) and 380MHz mem (the base is 333, I think). My benchmarks definitely improved after the upgrade. It is a good buy in my book.

Kenneth

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I installed my new Visiontek Geforce3 last night. First let me say that it is an impressive looking card with a fan mounted on a huge heat sink. Installation was a breeze and the results were stunning! I am so glad that I upgraded! I'm looking forward to playing my games all over again to enjoy the improvement. Thanks to everyone for all of your input!

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Well...Just bought a Geforce 3 ti200 today and must say I am very pleased wuth its performance. The Latest computer gaming world did rank the Visionteks very Highly so I would definately say get the Geforce 3.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You gotta go with a new mobo/proc first. I moved my GF3 ti200 from my 1Ghz machine to my 1.467Ghz machine today and saw a noticable difference, proving that my 1Ghz chip was the bottleneck, so you're 600mhz chip definitely isn't going to do a new video board justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks