Video cards... which one do you all recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

It's video card upgrade time. I've had a lot of trouble with my PC lately but after replacing the hard drive and upping the ram to 512MB it runs like a champ. Now it's time for a video card. I want to run high end games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor.

I currently have a Leadtek GeForce2 GTS-32MB and have been eyeing a GeForce3 Ti200 or Ti500. I also heard the GeForce4's are due out next month. So, for the money, is the Ti500 worth it? Should I wait for the G4's or just get the very reasonably priced Ti200? Anyone have experience with either Ti?

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

With a Geforce 2 GTS you should be able to run wolf and the latest games just fine. What is your processor speed? I personally wouldn't waste money on a geforce 3 especially since you already have a 2...I might not even get the next geforce. I'm going to shop for a whole new computer when doom 3 and quake 4 come out.

3. Rob Varto

My processor is a PIII 600MhZ... not too great but the 512 MB of RAM has made a huge difference.

4. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    According to PCWorld, and looking at prices...the best Bank-For-The_Buck seems to be the: G-Force2 -Ti (64Mb)
    Newegg.com has them (in the ASUS brand) for $143.00
    ...although looking at the Ge-Force3 Ti 64Mb it's only $193.00
    The top of the line Ge-Force 3Ti Deluxe is $320.00 -yowsa!
    Not sure what games would choke on the Ge-Force 2Ti-64Mb..maybe Quake III -or Half-life. Not sure what you'd gain going to the Ge-Force3 card (except future power, 3D glasses... )
    ~Rob

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Half-life won't drop below my 60Hz framerate cap (its my monitor refresh rate, and I don't like tearing) at my monitor's maximum resolution no matter what I try to do to the thing with details, and I only have a GeForce DDR, not even a GeForce 2. Frankly, I'd leave well alone on the graphics card front, until 4 comes out later this year. At that point, a 3 will be cheapish, and 4 will be enough faster than your current machine to notice.

Only a 600 means that you'd be better off concentrating your efforts there however.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've got a P3 800Mhz 133fsb with 256MB ram and geforce 2 gts 64MB DDR. I run all the latest games in 1024x768 with everything turned up (no antialiasing though) and it all runs great. So maybe look at upgrading your processor...if your motherboard can support it. The cpu's are pretty cheap these days.

7. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Rob,

My vote for you is to upgrade the mobo and processor. For the same price as a top-notch video card ($300 - $400), you can go crazy with the processor!

Jason

8. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

I have a P-II 400 with 256Meg and a Geforce 2 GTS 32Meg and I run RTCW in 1024x768 with everything turned up as well. No problems - smooth as glass. I agree with Jason - upgrade the Mobo and CPU before upgrading the video card.

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Spend the extra $40 and go up to a GeForce3 Ti200. The GeForce3 core is superior to the GeForce2 core. Take it from someone who used both extensively. Especially if you plan on gaming at 800x600 or higher resolution.
    And, if you're already at the $170 mark (most GF3 Ti200s are around this price) there is now a 128MB version for only about $20 more. That's what I'm getting in a month or so, and it's less than 2 bones!

10. Carlo Medina

re: upgrading video card or CPU
    I run an Athlon 850MHz (512 PC133 RAM) w/ GF2 Pro. 3DMark2001 score of 3100
    Built SO a system using P4 1.5GHz (512 RDRAM) w/ GF2 Pro bumped the score up to 4200
    Built Dad a system using P4 1.7GHz (512 RDRAM) w/ GF3 Ti200, score was 6100!
    Put Dad's GF3 in my machine and score jumped to 4700!
    So going from an Athlon 850 w/ PC133 RAM to a P4 1.5 w/ RDRAM and keeping the GF2Pro yielded a 3100 -> 4200 score on 3DMark2001
    Plugging in a GF3Ti200 card into my existing system yielded a 3100 -> 4700 increase. So in my case, upgrading the video card makes more sense than upgrading the CPU/RAM/Mobo.
    YMMV.
    BTW, I don't know how punishing RTCW is on graphics, but try running Comanche 4 on 1024x768 all effects on high and that will separate the men from the boys. [​IMG]

11. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i'd say wait until the geforce 4 comes out and buy a geforce 3 at a cheaper price. Avoid ATI like a plague because even though i have two ATI cards (radeon 32mb DDR & ATi TV wonder PCI), driver support is very very poor. Hell, i don't even use the drivers ATI has for my tv wonder in winXP, just too buggy. They even cut off the leaked driver that come out quite often. FOr some, leaked drivers are the only way to get some games to work properly and now that they've stopped leaked drivers, people will have to wait months to get an official driver release from ATI.

12. Mark_Keller

Mark_Keller Auditioning

Well, for what it's worth, I am going to have to disagree with the posts thus far and say go with the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade. I own an Asus 32Mb GeF2 GTS and recently jumped from an Athlon 800 with 512mb Sdram to a 1.4tbird/KT266a/512 Mb DDR after a snafu with the old mobo. It made a huge difference. On the other hand, whenI upgraded from a GeF DDR to a GeF2 GTS there was only a slight benefit in games.
    I realize this is not an apples-to-apples type of comparison, but I'd bet that hopping to a faster CPU and DDR ram gives you a better overall performace jump with your system for similar money.
    For the record, I couldn't be happier with my new combo. It'll run Unreal, RTCW, etc. perfectly at 1600x1280x32. This combo ought to do me fine until the GeF4's get out and drop below 4 zillion bucks [​IMG]
    YMMV, but good luck with whatever you end up purchasing!

13. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Agreed on ATI. The Radeon 8500 seems like it could be a great card... but it's drivers (especially in 2000/XP) are useless. Nice image quality, and better AA than Nvidia.

I just picked up a GeForce3 Ti 200 today to replace my Voodoo5 (which, despite being unsupported, worked fantastic in 2k, with great drivers and superb image quality.) I had a Radeon 8500 for a day, but no matter what drivers (including beta) I used, it just sucked.

The Geforce was cheaper, and works better, overall.

In your situation, I'd upgrade the processor before the video card. $300-$400 (whcih is what you're looking at for the Ti500, nearly) will get you a new mobo/cpu/ram that you should be able to plop into your current case.

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

For what its worth we are only about two weeks away from the announcement of the GeFORCE 4 and the GeFORCE 4 MX.

15. Rob Varto

I saw a link at www.techbargains.com that had GeForce 4's for only $160. How the heck can it be cheaper than the GeForce 3's?

16. Carlo Medina

If indeed we are very close to a GF4 announcement and street date, I would then counsel to wait and re-assess after said announcement. It will change things drastically (pricing, if not technology-wise).

17. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I just checked the techbargains link and they list the GeForce4 for $120.95 pre-order price. I just started looking for a new video card, mostly for HT rather than games, so I have been interested in the Radeon 7500.
    Question, is there more than one release of the Radeon 7500? I read a post on www.AVSForum.com that said something about the new 7500 with AIW (don't know that that is). I am afraid of buying an older version. I can definately wait until after the new GeForce4 is released to se if prices come down though.

18. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

AIW = All in Wonder. With TV in/out and a built in tuner.

The GeForce 4 pre-order is for the MX version, which should be slower than the current GF3.

19. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Bill, thanks for the info (lazy, should have figured out the AIW). I had a feeling that the MX version wasn't what I was looking for. I am probably going to get the Radeon 7500, I don't need a $300 card for my purposes now anyway, and I can get the Radeon for about $100 on eBay.

20. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

I'm really struggling with my current video card. I have an Aopen Geforce2 MX 64MB and their most current driver is not working with some of the games my kids and I like to play. Is it possible to use a driver from a different manufacturer? If so what would you recommend? I am running Windows XP on a PIII 600mhz machine with 512 ram.
    I'm seriously thinking of just picking up a new board, maybe a Geforce3 TI 200. I have a $100 gift card from Best Buy that is burning a hole in my pocket. [​IMG]