video card with svid out question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Does a video card with svid out allow you to play games via the svideo out or do you have to buy a vga convertor for this purpose?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Depends on the card- some with Svid and onboard Hardware DVD decoding only offer DVD decoded video to the svideo output-- some card supply a downconverted desktop.
    One work of warning, as many have found- downconverted VGA to NTSC looks like dog poop in most cases. The best (and only real way IMHO) to integrate PC into your TV environment is to have a TV that supports data rate inputs.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=32990
    -Vince

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

"'cuz you can't play it in 1024X768 24bit colour"

Gordon, is this because of your tv's limitation or your card? I do have a hi def tv and was hoping I could play at higher resolutions than 640 x 480.

Regarding dvd playback, I use hardware dvd playback but I never knew the limitations when using sofware encoded dvd playback.

5. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Hmmm, limitation of the card or TV.......good question, never thought about that. The card is an Asus 3800 TVR, I would suspect that the limitation is the card when in s-vid mode. Once the cable plugs in to the TV, Asus's software reconfigures cause it senses the TV. It automatically adjusts the refresh rate and sets your max resolution. You are pretty much locked-in. I have had no experience with Hi-Def (bummer, I wish I coud say otherwise)....sorry.

==========

I double-checked and found I made a mistake. My card supports up to 800X600 in TV-out mode. Whada ya know...but it's still no 1024X768.

So yes, with this particular card, the limitation is in the hardware...but it still looks pretty good on the TV.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Len,

Svideo is a NTSC connection. If you hope to get full resolution from your computer you have to connect via the DB 15 VGA connector- the way you normally connect a monitor.

If you connect via Svideo, no matter what resolutions your video card or TV support, the Vid card will pass NTSC "640x480" from the svideo output, and the TV will only accept NTSC video via its svideo input.

If you like to get real resolutions, your TV must have some sort of RGBHV connector input (can be a DB 15 type connector like a monitor, could be 5 BNC connectors, could be 5 RCA connectors)... you can probably find a box that will convert RGBHV from your PC into component signal if that is all your TV has inputs for.

Some TV outputs support "800x600" for TV output, but it just means you don't have to switch your desktop down- it still passes standard NTSC video downconverted to the TV. Understand that standard TVs can only receive a single signal scan rate- NTSC video, that is it. If a computer is going to connect, no matter what it will have to resample itself to NTSC.

If you want to exploit the full resolution of HDTV sets for computer diaplys- you'll need to check into what res/scan rate combinations your TV supports... and find out what inputs it has for HIDEF signals- and figure out if you can get the RGBHV of your video card to connect with whatever input your TV has available.

-Vince