Video Card recommendations

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarcUR, Nov 26, 2004.

1. MarcUR

MarcUR Extra

I'm in the process of upgrading a computer to use it for home theater and was looking for video card advice. I'm going to add the m audio 2496 for audio to my receiver and I planned on getting a cheap video card with a s-video out just so i could set playlists. After thinking about it, I figured i should put a little more money into it so I can view digital pictures as well (won't be do gaming or dvds through the computer). I have a 32" Sony Wega flat screen non HD-tv. I have two requirements for the card, it has to be PCI, and I'd like it to have both a composite and s-video out so i can use it for all my tv's. I'm looking to spend $50-75. My other option is to get a card with just an s-video out and get a conversion cable, but was a little skeptical about that. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

3. MarcUR

MarcUR Extra

because i only have a pci slot available, no agp. Doesn't that card only have s-video out, or am I missing something.

4. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I believe that ATI makes some PCI cards that might have S-Video and Composite video but i'm not 100% sure on that. Your choices will be very limited though if you need PCI.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

6. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

S-video to composite adapters are easy to find at Radio Shack or places like that. I haven't seem many cards that have an actual composite out (without a breakout box).

7. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

8. MarcUR

MarcUR Extra

its a refurbed dell dimension 3000, no AGP, just 3 PCI slots. I tried the NVIDEA FX 5200 with my main dell system (4600) and the picture is pretty bad, unacceptable in terms of what i would like to do. In terms of audio, i set up the SB Audigy 2 NX and sent a digital signal to my arcam avr 200 without any problems. Actually exceed my expectations, now i just need decent video.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep, because of the onboard video, no AGP.

For TV Output, you may honestly be better off going with an ATI 9200 PCI card, as their TV Out drivers are more mature. And either way, you probably want a copy of Powerstrip.

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

11. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm also getting one for Xmas, preferably one that would run HL2 decently..at around $150? I have a P4B266 Asus MB, P4 1.8, 512 RAM DDR and a GeForce Ti200 64 MB. I guess I'm stuck at Agp 4X for now.

12. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

edited post, I think Eric meant he's already got a card lined up.