Video Card recommendations requested

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Wilson, Jul 8, 2005.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Jul 6, 1999
    I recently purchased 2 Dell Ultrasharp 1905s and will be replacing a couple of 17" CRTs. The computers are both Dell Dimension 4100s with 866 P3s. They have an AGP slot but not sure if it is 4x or 8x. I'd like to connect via DVI so new video cards are necessary. I mostly do email, surfing and text-intensive applications and one is used to watch an occasional DVD. I'm really not a gamer. [​IMG]

What would be a good choice for a reliable, inexpensive (less than $30 ? ) video card that supports DVI? I don't do much 3-D or gaming so that should help with the cost, right?

Thank you for your help/recommendations[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

Jun 13, 2005

Given the age of those systems the AGP slots will be AGP 4x, but that's OK: AGP 4x vs AGP 8x doesn't matter much even in gaming.

The best 2D image quality around belongs to Matrox, however due to a niche following Matrox cards are rarer and more expensive(well above the $30-$50 range) Followed by ATI and NVIDIA which are generally tied these days.

The ~$35 range drops you to video cards that are quickly approaching end-of-life. Such as the Radeon 9250 based cards. Understand that the 9250 series is severely underpowered for anything 3D, but it will do what you want.

If you want a card with a little bit more life to it a good quality Radeon 9550 based card would probably work well for you. They run about $60.

The risk you run by dropping to the $30 and under range is super cheap components. Many of the Radeon "SE" and GeForce "LE" products are just poor in quality (to make a price point) and it shows in poor analog output and a higher rate of defective cards.