Video card problems on new system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I just assembled my first system over the weekend and am having some trouble with the video card.

The card is the ATI Radeon 7000 AGP (32mb). I assembled the system and the card worked fine for the BIOS setup and Windows installation (XP Pro), but when I tried to boot into Windows for the first time, it hung right before the XP login screen and a blue screen error flashes up on the screen for a split second before the system reboots.

I've booted into safe mode and it tells me that there's an error with the graphics card.

I've been on the ATI website and it sounds like I need to install the AGP drivers for my board before it'll work correctly, but since I can't get into windows I'm kindof stuck.
    I thought I'd be able to install drivers from safe mode, but when I try to do that it says I need to be logged in as an adminstrator (which I am, but it still won't let me) to do so.

Any suggestions or other things to check?

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Instead of booting in safe mode, try booting into VGA mode. This will boot with generic video card drivers. You should be able to install the new ATI drivers from there, reboot and you're all set.

I think you hit F8 before the Windows welcome screen to get into VGA mode.

Jeff

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Ah! I didn't try that. I'm fairly new to the XP arena, so I'm not familiar with all the choices.

I'll give that a shot tonight.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

OK, here's some new happenings with this. As some background, I had my main computer go out on me a few weeks ago, most likely due to old age. I didnt' want to spend a pantload on a new system, so I simply bought some inexpensive parts and used most of the old system on the rebuild.

I purchased a Shuttle AI61 mobo (I think it's a 2001 model) that came packaged with an AMD Athalon 700mz processor.

I had no trouble assembling the system until the video card. As you can see above, I needed to install the AGP drivers for the board in order for this to work. Problem is that there are no XP drivers available. I've contacted Shuttle, but they didn't have any new drivers for this board on their website and I don't think they'll be able to help me.

I was able to get the system up and running by installing an older AGP video card. I pulled this card out of an old system and it's horrible....won't do full motion video worth a crap and all that.

Will I have problems with any newer AGP card with no AGP drivers installed on the mobo?

Will a PCI card solve the problem? Everything else on the system seems to work fine.

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor