Video Card Output to TV questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeremy Zanone, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Jeremy Zanone

Jeremy Zanone Auditioning

Hello all,

I have a client that wants me to build him a computer that will be able to output the display to a TV/Monitor type display. His need is to be able to display information (text mainly) for his clients in a presentation style. He wants the text to be as clear as it would be on a SVGA monitor, only larger and he wants the display mounted on the wall, so I’m looking for something in the 30-40” range.

My questions are:

What would be a good video card?
    What type of inputs should I be looking for on the display? Component, DVI, RGB?

And price really isn't an issue.

TIA

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I really like the NVidea line of cards. For text I would go with the 6600 series and I would go with DVI out.

Parker

3. Darren Woodley

Darren Woodley Auditioning

What kind of TV/monitor will he be hooking it up to? In order for it to be just as sharp as a comp monitor, it would be ideal to have a DVI input, or at least VGA, as composite and s-video output only are supported up to 800x600 on most video cards.
    The other question is what will mainly be used for? If it's mainly just for home theater purposes, I'd suggest an ATI All-In Wonder X600, which includes an NTSC tuner as well as composite, s-video, VGA, and DVI output. Nvidia makes great cards too, and I've owned more than a few of them, but I think that they're more suited to hardcore gamers than HTPCs.

EDIT: After reading it over, even the all in wonder is probably overkill if it's just for presentations. Just about every ATI card comes with a DVI out these days, that's all you really need. Both the cards that Parker and I pointed out are intended for heavy multimedia use.

4. Jeremy Zanone

Jeremy Zanone Auditioning

So, pretty much any video card with DVI output, should work?

5. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

I am using a nvidea Geforce 6800 ultra pluged into my Yamaha amp with a svideo cable and it works great, you can't go wrong with that choice. Sound might be nice if you plan to use powerpoint, for that I use creative sound blaster platinum 2 ex .

The ultra is the only one in the 6 series that has dual dvi support, according to my manual.

Also with this grafics card you can configure it to display one image over multiple screens , just in case your client wants the reeeeaaaal big picture. Have fun.