What's new

Video card crushing black on DVI output? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I recently picked up an ATI X1600XT and had it connected to my Toshiba 46HX83 via the component video output. Since TheaterTek won't let me play DVDs when using TV-out, I tried using a DVI connection tonight.

When connecting via DVI, it was impossible to possibly calibrate black level as I couldn't see the black bars in the pluge pattern on DVE, or the moving bars in the AVIA pattern. I'm guessing the video card is crushing black levels though DVI. I know it's not the TV, as I don't have this problem with stand-alone DVD players that using DVI.

I've tried various settings on the video card and nothing helped. I even created multiple monitor drivers using PowerStrip, but nothing helped. Any suggestion? If I can't get this working properly, I'm just going to disconnect my computer from my HT. It's too much of a pain needing to rip DVDs to the HD before I can play them.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I believe people have used ffdshow to sort out DVD viewing over DVI and black crush issues; http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/

That will have no effect on anything but stuff that uses ffdshow obviously, but that does cover DVD's.

ffdshow will let you do other image processing stuff too that might improve picture quality and it works with TheaterTek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks