What's new

video card/computer question! (1 Viewer)

suzie*c

Auditioning
:) Hi everyone!!! Looking for some advice... I am shopping for a new desktop computer, it will perform many tasks, however, one very important (to my son) feature is the video card. He is really into online gaming and I know that we need a good card, however, I am not looking for "the best" at this time... I will eventually change it out... for now, I am looking for the best in the 128mb series... any suggestions! Thanks so much!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
There is a computer section here :) I'd go with the ATI 9800 Pro. Should be able to get it for under $200.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My suggestion is to buy the computer you want and not worry too much about the video card. Just make sure that if it's onboard, it can be disabled. Then go out and buy the video card you want and install it. If you buy a PC with the card already installed you'll be paying a lot more for it and won't get exactly what you want.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Look into the DVI compliant video cards..... great looking output.... but of course requires a DVI compliant monitor. I use an older GeForce FX5600 and a Dell LCD monitor..... tremendous resolution and infinite adjustability. A must for serious gamers.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
the best video card that gives most bang for the buck currently in stores is the radeon 9800 pro. it requires an AGP slot, if your gonna get a pc that has pci-E then id go with the Nvidia 6600 series, both cards are priced not to far apart. $200 range.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Definitely go with an AGP card.

I also agree with buying an aftermarket card. Even though a card supplied with a system may appear to be the same model number, they are often "tweaked" and leave out features. High-end computers built for gaming will often specify they are using an aftermarked card for this reason.

More importantly - try and avoid PCs with graphics built into the motherboard. They can be troublesome to turn off. Or buy the card at the same time and have them install it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Since you're in the market for new PC, I wanted to point this one out: MEDION

I got our Medion this summer and have been extremely happy with it..good bang for the buck IMO.

Hopefully the video card it has is good enough for what you need.

Alfer

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
If the PC you are buying has PCI Express, you want to go with an Nvidia 6600GT ($200-ish).

If it has just an AGP slot, the 6600GT in AGP is coming out, ETA 2-3 weeks for the same price.

Otherwise, a 9800 pro @ sub-$200 is still a best of budget choice, or possibly a "vanilla" Geforce 6800 (not the GT or ultra, just plain 6800). Deals on them have been about $250.

If you are trying to make sure the video card will be fully up to speed for some number of years (say, more than 2 years), you might want to consider getting an ATI X800pro or an Nvidia 6800GT. But they are pricey - $300-$400 or higher.

As far as your question about the PCI Express card-
The ATI X300 line of cards for PCI express don't really have the necessary power. The new X700XT for PCI express is good, but the Nvidia 6600GT seems to be better overall. And make sure the PC has PCI express capabilities - many don't have it, yet, nor is it particularly better than AGP, yet.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
6600GT AGP will be sold out soon after release. Look at everyone nabbing up the 6800GTs, Newegg is struggling to keep them in stock.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
its hard to get any new cards from either ATI or Nvidia except for the budget versions. the demands are really high on the new cards and the manufactures just cant seem to keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks