What's new

Video card advice (1 Viewer)

RalphR

Grip
I currently am running a Voodoo 5500 AGP on a pentium II 400 and I wondered if upgrading to a GeForce 4 card (either the MX or the Ti4600) would be worth it on this old dinosaur. The card I have does everything fine as far as I can see. I am going to upgrade my ViewSonic P815 monitor with a ViewSonic VP201MB which is their 21" LCD monitor which could work much better with a GeForce. Oh and I'm thinking of upgrading the computer but not till the end of the year at the earliest. All advice welcome!
Hey by the by.....can we sell computer hardware on this site?
Thanks!
:)

Leroy

Second Unit
Dump that Voodoo!! :D
Avoid any MX cards, althought they are easy on the pocketbook, they are pretty neutered in the performance.
Best thing to do though, since you are currently satisfied with your performance, wait till you upgrade to buy. Prices are always dropping and by the end of the year you might be able to save a few $$ on the card.
If you are on a tight budget, GeForce 3Ti 200 cards can be had around the $100-120 price range(w/ TV out)and will outperform the Geforce 4MX cards. I just picked one up at Best Buy for $139 (-30 rebat= $109). Very very nice card!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Danny R

Supporting Actor
If you are going for a GeForce card, definately go for the TI version rather than the MX. The MX is just a faster, more efficient GeForce2 card, while the TI actually has new technological features.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
If you put a Geforce4 into your computer, you'll be disappointed to find out your CPU will be the limiting factor in every game you play. It's a good card if you plan on upgrading your CPU in the near future, but otherwise, your Voodoo5 5500 is still more than your CPU can handle.

BTW, avoid buying Ti4600; the Ti4400 offers much better value for the money; same with the Ti4200.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Hmm - I wouldn't upgrade the video card until you got something faster than a PII-400. I had one and I think my Geforce2 Ultra w/ 64MB of RAM was even held back by the CPU. I'd save your money and start upgrading the CPU asap.

RalphR

Grip
Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to wait and just upgrade the whole darn thing early next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks