What's new

Video Capture ? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Meyer

Auditioning
Hi all. About a month ago I bought a mini dv camcorder. I have made a few family vacations dvd's and have a question. My process has been to transfer it to my hard drive in DV format. Then I edit it and burn it to dvd. This part works great. The problem is then I also take the edited version and create it as a mpeg so I can also see it on a pc that does not have a dvd rom. The process runs fine so I burn it to a cdr, however, it will not play on any pc except the one I made it on. It tries to do a codec download and errors out. Is this because it was transfered in DV format and not captured in mpeg originally? I thought when I saved the edited version as mpeg, that would work. Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If it's Mpeg2 (most likely) it requires a decoder to be installed and there are very few free ones , and none that will download automatically. You need to have a DVD player installed to play back an Mpeg2 file. I don't know if the open source "Media Player Classic" has mpeg2 codecs built in but you could check it out (in case you don't have a DVD player disk around -- most DVD drives come packaged with one).

Window's Media Player does have built in codecs for Mpeg1 (VCD) but not Mpeg2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks