Video capture: PVR-350 vs myHD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ravi Duvvuri, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ravi Duvvuri

Ravi Duvvuri Extra

I'm looking to upgrade my video capture capability on my computer. I used to use an old Pinnacle DC10+, which didn't work under Windows 2000, so I replaced it with a Radeon AIW 8500dv, which I was never able to get working as well (or easily) as the old DC10+.

I'm trying to narrow down my selection, and I've heard good things about both the Hauppage PVR-350 and the myHD MDP-120. I like the idea of being able to capture directly to MPEG-2, with most of the encoding done on the card itself. But, I've read some reviews which say that the myHD cards are only useful if you have an HD signal, and won't actually do much of anything from a regular video source (like say, videotape or laserdisc). Is this true? I'm not in a market with much in the way of OTA HD programming, so would getting the MDP-120 be a waste of money?

Any help is appreciated.

-r

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The Hauppauge has the best NTSC tuner. They both seem to have decent S-Video input quality.

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

The PVR-250 is the same as the 350, but without a hardware MPEG2 DE-coder, which you might not need.

I have a PVR-250, and it's great.

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

The PVR-350 also has an FM tuner and S-Video out.

I also have a PVR-250 with SageTV and I love it.