What's new

Video Capture & DVD-R (1 Viewer)

Shawn

Auditioning
Hi guys. Hopefully one of you can lead me in the right direction. I'd like to get a video capture device for my PC. I have a 2 gig Pentium 4 with an 80 and a 40 gig HD 512mgs RAM and Windows XP. So I think my PC will be beefy enough to handle it.
What I'd like to do is capture some of the older home videos my parents and I have. They have some of me starting in 84 when I was 11 up untill today. Plus there are videos of family who are no longer with us so it would be nice to keep some.
The idea is to eventually transfer the videos to DVD. I'm just wondering if any of the current DVD recorders are able to record a DVD that plays on most home DVD players? I's also like to know if there is any software that will help me clean up the old VHS pictures. Something to help with some tracking jumping, I know the image itself probably can't be cleaned but I imagine the older tapes will have stability problems in spots.
And of course I'd like recommendations on what equipment to get. I've looked at the Dazzle fusion and the ADS Instant DVD line but need some guidance. Thanks a lot!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't buy anything USB

Answer this question:

1- How much do you want to spend

You're looking at about $500 for a decent rig (including drive)

And video cleanup software starts at around the $1-2000 range

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
As far as DVD burners go, the most flexible one right now is probably the Sony DRU500A, since it supports both major formats. It does DVD+R/DVD+RW AND DVD-R/DVD-RW (and of course also functions as a CD-R/CD-RW). That way, if a certain DVD player wouldn't read a DVD-R, you could try a DVD+R. No great input from me on the video capture, though...
DRU500A @ Sonystyle.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks