Video calibration with a twist...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike___Walker, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Mike___Walker

Here's a question which may be a new one since I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. On my Sony, there are three different Video Modes: Vivid, Standard & Movie. If I used the Avia disk to set the Movie mode, will the settings stay if I switch to Standard mode? [​IMG] My reason is I would like to set two different modes, one for day & one for night viewing. Will it work or will I have to keep changing settings? TIA if I don't get back to the thread soon...

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    On my last Sony, changing any of the picture modes erased any custom setting. I had to stick with the calibrated settings at all times and recalibrate every time someone changed the picture mode (which was a lot).

Does the TV have a custom picture memory option? Depending on your level of technical experience, another option could be to find the TV's service code and re-set one of the picture modes to the calibrated levels.

Adam

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

on my sony i keep it on the standard mode when i calibrated it. vivid is too hot and movie is too dark for me.
    adam - now you've got me thinking. i never realized it reset the settings when i switch picture modes...which i sometimes do when goofing off... [​IMG]

4. Mike___Walker

It doesn't seem to be resetting when I switch modes, so I'm going to use it. I figure I'll use the Movie mode for daytime & the Standard mode for night. The only problem I had using the Avia for Video was with the color chart. That part sucks [​IMG]

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

My Sony has three picture modes too. For me, the settings don't change when I switch modes. I use "Standard" for watching TV and "Movie" for watching DVDs. Standard mode was calibrated with a composite video cable attached to the DVD player, Movie mode was calibrated with an S-video cable on the DVD player. I don't touch "Sports" mode (probably the same as your "Vivid" mode. It's still in the factory default "torch" settings. [​IMG]