What's new

Video Cables for "Non-Believer" (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a cable "believer". But I need a long component run to send 480i from my DVD player to my new projector, and a similar one for OTA HDTV if I go there in the future. I was planning on making some with Canare stuff and the help of a local HTFer who has graciously offered help, but I need to save money. The projector purchase was an unwelcome surprise when my old TV died.

How do these "Triangle Cables" cables look for a run of video:

Triangle Cable 1

My low quality NTSC sources will go through a regular cable like this:
Triangle Cable 2

These seem to have sufficient specs to do the job.

How about this cable from "Cables For Less":
[url=http://www.cablesforless.com/ProductImages/a-v/PYTHONVID-6.jpg] [/url]

That looks like the same cable.

How about this:

[url=http://www.cablesforless.com/ProductImages/a-v/PYTHONX5.jpg] [/url]

If the "audio" runs have the same specs as the component run I can use this for component and composite all in one handy comvenient bundle.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If they're really rg59 types then it shouldn't be any problem Phil handling the run. What resolution will you be running?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
For now it's going to be 480i DVD going to an Infocus X1 via component, and LD/VHS/Dish NTSC going via composite (yes I know I should send Dish as S but the X1 is limited as far as inputs). HD is down the road, hopefully for my birthday.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're running to a projector why not use the two spare audio cables w/ an s-video breakout cable to get SVIDEO for LD and Dish and even VHS if your receiver upconverts? If it doesn't then you could use one of the audio cables as composite.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Couple reasons:

(1) You can't run 480i component and S-video at the same time with an X1. It's got a special S-video input with extra pins that works as S-video or component via a proprietary adapter. You can not plug both 480i component and S-Video at the same time. I am not buying a 480p player, as the X1 has a better deinterlacer than most DVD players, and often produces a better picture from 480i than 480p for DVD. Also I'm on a budget and a new DVD player is not in it.

(2) My receiver only has composite switching. I can have the receiver switch non-DVD sources, and have DVD plugged into the component input permanently. In the future, when and if I get an HD receiver I can use the other break-out for the VGA slot to plug HD into the other input on the X1.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I've got no problem with running an RG59 type. In fact, if you talk to the guys over at AVCable, they state they do 100 foot runs of RG59 component video but you're going to pay big time for that from them.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
  • Precision 75 Ohm Impedance for Maximum Signal transfer
  • Extended 1 GHZ Bandwidth
  • EMI-RFI Protected Double High-Density Shield
  • Five RG-59 95% Copper-Braid Shielded Conductors
  • 95% Spiral-Wound-Shield Audio Conductors
  • 24K Gold Plated Heavy Duty Connectors

Should be sufficient I'd think.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That would depend largely upon the length of the cable Andrew. There's a bit more attenuation with RG59 but then we're not running it for hundreds of feet. In Phil's case he's pushing 480 which is somewhere around 15 MHz. Consider the following post, Let's Look At Component Video Cables for some numbers.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you have access to a decent crimper, I'd say get Beldin or Canare RG-59 or RG-6 and make your own.

Or, take a look at Markertek. Their cables are typically Beldin cables with Canare ends.

http://www.markertek.com

Leo Kerr

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I got the cables yesterday in the mail. I ordered one set from "Cables for less" and one set from "Triangle". After I had ordered the set of 5 for my DVD+Composite from one company, I decided that I want to get HDTV analog component cables installed also, so I ordered them from the other company. Both cables are indeed the same cable, the specs are printed on the outside, they claim to be "HDTV" compatible. The look and feel of the cables is quite substantial, my first impression is excellent. I have not run anything through them yet, I need to run them through my conduit and I'm having a very difficult time with that.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
For those who are eager Phil maybe you can connect them and give your impressions.
As an aside which may make the conduit run easier, tie a very light string (long enough of course) to a napkin and place it at one end of the conduit. Then at the other end, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the napkin out. Now tie a more substantial string or light rope and work it through. Finally, attach the cables (wrapping one end with say saran wrap) and pull them through.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of just getting a wire fishing tool, that's what my installers suggested, and I've run wires through walls using one of those before. I've run 6 cables through the conduit so far, the problem is that the mass of sticky PVC on the bottom gets bigger with every cable that goes through, so now I'm having a tough time fishing a stiff RG5 through, which has been the technique I've used in the past.

BTW, both companies were excellent to deal with and shipped the cables promptly and well packed. I would recommend either, depending on how much shipping to your location costs.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Also, since the only thing I have to compare these to is a 50' run of Blue Jeans S-Video my opinion will be largely meaningless. I'm sure they will look just fine to me.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Last night I ran the "Cables For Less" component and the "Triangle Cables" component/audio bundle through my conduit and hooked them up to my X1. I'm running 480i from a Technics DVD-A10 and composite from a Pioneer CLD-D704 (and other lesser sources Dish NTSC and my VCR). I'm not using the CFL component bundle yet, that's for when I get an HDTV box some day. The cables are heavy duty and very stiff, the jack ends are cheap but sufficient to transmit a signal.

I calibrated the X1 using the Raiders Of The Lost Arc THX Optimode which is excellent.

Then I put in some demo material, both LD and DVD. Results? These cables work. There is no interferance that I can detect, all I see is what appears to me to be a perfect picture, at least the best the X1 can do. Would there be interferance if the video cable was running right alongside speaker cables? I have no idea. I also have no idea how much electrical 120V this condiut runs near or around. My guess is a lot since there's lots of recessed lighting in my ceiling.

Using the "audio" cable for coaxial video seems to be fine, though I don't think it would really spec.

I would recommend component cables from either of these vendors. Even if you're not on a strict budget, why throw money away on esoteric cables? All you need is a cable that can transmit an electrical signal to the specifications required by the devices you're using. Both vendors offered good service, prompt shipping, great prices, and a good solid product.

When I got my used X1 the one thing I was dreading was buying cables. My 50' Blue Jeans S-video that I used for the old RPTV was quite expensive, but S-Video is sensitive and not even supposed to run nearly that long so I knew I needed something that exceeded the spec by a wide margin. When I got the X1 I was expecting to grudgingly spend $300 on cables, probably with local HTFer Phil A helping me make them with his Canare hardware. I am extremely happy that I got my DVD and HDTV component bundles for under $100 for both 50' runs, with a composite thrown in for good measure.

Links:
Triangle Cables
Cables For Less

I don't think either of these budget cable companies are ever going to come to the HTF selling their "Python" cables as a sponsor, but I'll endorse them. :)

The cables are identical, for good large close-up pictures go to the Triangle site. I'm so happy that I'm going to go tell the AVS guys about these in case somebody there needs good cheap cables.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I've mentioned them before, but not so eloquently as you Philip. I believe if you look at the GE's from Target, they'll bear more than a passing familiarity with the ones you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks