video cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Sep 27, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I am planning to upgrade my DVD player soon and so i will need some component cables. I was lookign at some AR cables and i was thinking it would be cheaper to buy their regular RCA cables and just use those for component cables. would this give me the same effect as their packaged component cables? if so what is the reason for the difference ????
    more shielding or something? please explain [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The same coax is used in both. A component cable set is simply 3 composite cables in a single bundle.

However: the component cable bundle is usually less-messy than 3 individual wires. The component cable bundle has different color codes on each plug to avoid confusion (you will need to/should label your individual video cables). And the component cable bundle has all the 3 cables cut to the exact same length to avoid timing issues.

IMHO: your video cable should be your most accurate/precise/highest-quality cable in your system. Dont cheapen out on this cable.

The AR component cable has been praised for it's high quality at a budget price. To try and save a few bucks below this is a "penny-wise and pound-foolish". Remember the 10% rule: budget 10% of the electronics cost for the cable. Anything less than that is a bonus.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah i suppose so.... and it is only a few dollars difference, but to be perfectly honest i think its foolish to spend several hundred dollars on some monster cables... AR it is i guess. thanks [​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

John,
    Please do me a favor and check out the link below to Rhino. They have three flavors of component cables and I switched to the ones linked below from AR's. It really made a significant difference in the picture's detail, depth, and color richness, at least in my perception. And, they don't cost much more than AR's. I think they might have a trial period in which you can return them if you don't like them. Here's your link

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I tried one of Rhino's component cables and found it to be noticeably worse than my AR component cable. I was pretty surprised especially since it was just the performance series and not the pro or master series. I can say that Rhino's customer service was excellent though when I returned it.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well that's puzzling, not that I'm a fan of Rhino, but puzzling. what was the nature of the problem? bad connection or something?

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Hmmm...That is very surprising as they use nothing but broadcast cables (Belden 1694/1695)and connectors(Canare). My experience with Belden cables over AR is completely the oposite!

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Ben,

I'm kind of surprised at your experiences with the Rhino Performance series component cables too. I'd have to speculate that perhaps they were damaged or something, because even my two daughters noticed a positive difference with mine when watching Monsters Inc and they didn't even know what I'd done. Sorry, it wasn't a better experience for you.

9. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

you might want to check into an AR Pro cable, as the component cable in that series is better than just the regular rca video cables. plus, it doesnt cost very much more than the regular performance series. even more bang for the buck if you ask me.

10. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I've since tried the AR pro series component cable with very good results. I originally wanted the master series cable but they didnt have the right size. But I'm fine with the pro series...for now. I'm still curious as to the Rhino cable though. The only thing I can attribute to the lower performance is maybe it was faulty. I would still like to try a canare/canare component cable from Heartland cables or similar vendor to appease my curiosity. The wait and shipping/return shipping is more favorable than to Canada (Rhino).