video cable problem hooking up 360 to a non-HDTV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Todd Bohlke, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

My wife just surprised me w/ a 360 (late xmas present!) so I'm trying to get it hooked up into my HT. The problem is that my older Proscan tv only has an S-video input. When I put the component cables into either of the component-in inputs on my Denon 3803 (and go into the receiver setup to assign it), I get no video (and no sound for some reason). Obviously, I have an S-video out to the TV which is how I watch DVDs. When I just use the composite cable, no problem with video or sound. Is there something I'm doing wrong w/ the setup because it seems to me this should work. Thanks!

2. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    "When I put the component cables into either of the component-in inputs on my Denon 3803"

The Denon 3803 will allow composite - to > S-Video - to > component only (not component -> S-Video). Meaning, with a component cable connected between the 3803 and the tv, you could view material from composite and/or S-Video equipment.

With an S-Video cable connected between your 3803 and the TV, you can only view material from composite and S-Video equipment - not component video.

As for the audio, maybe check the Digital-In Assignments of the Denon's Component inputs.

3. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

So it'll upconvert, but not downconvert--gotcha. I guess if I want better picture (until I pony up for a new hdtv), I'll need to get the s-video xbox connector. I picked up a toslink cable today to see if I can get better sound. Thanks for the reply

4. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    Good luck with the audio. S-Video is great and well worth seeking out the 360 cable for it on your S-Video TV in my opinion.