1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Video Breakout Cable fix my problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Starck, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Andre Starck

Andre Starck Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a quesiton for you all if someone can help me.

I have a Denon 2800 Prog DVD player and an Acer 776PS DLP projector and am rather happy with it with the following exception.

Currently I'm running a Composite to VGA conversion box (transconder)to convert the signal to VGA as the prog has no composite input (only RCA video and S-video). I have to change the switch on the transconder everytime that I change from NTSC dvd to a PAL dvd (ie changing from 640x480 to 800x600 res for the proj). Will a VGA breakout cable allow me to switch display formats without having to change the resolution all the time?

I can convert PAL to NTSC but the downconversion that the DVD player does is shocking. If I up convert NTSC to PAL then the aspect ratio of the movie changes (it's almost like 235 to 185 ratio change!! or looks like it.)

So the only way to get the right ration is to drive PAL as PAL and 800x600 and NTSC as NTSC and 640x480.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I've tried forcing the transconder to "auto" or to 480p but the image is all washed out and color all wrong.

Can anyone please help or clear things up for me?

thanks in advance

Andre Starck

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I don't have experience with PAL playback so take my commentary with a bit of skepticism.

The Acer projector you describe is a VGA device which you are feeding an RGBHV signal via a transcoder/scaling device which acccepts either PAL or NTSC video from your DVD player. Depending on whether PAL or NTSC is input to the transcoder/scaler the resultant ouput has correct geometry only at the two resolution you stated (one for each video standard).

A breakout cable will not be of benefit as that would merely take the RGBHV signal from the transcoder and split the signal physically into five separate lines. Those lines would carry exactly the same signal as the regular VGA cable you are already using to connect the transcoder to the projector. Basically, you won't accomplish anything because the signal isn't altered save for getting it onto BNC connectors instead of VGA. The resolution and timing won't be changed.

The two solutions I can think of are.

$$$$ obtain a higher end scaler which has both PAL and NTSC input capability. Getting a good one which will let you set the output resolution to the native resolution of the projector (800 x 600 I think) will cost probably near the cost of the projector.

Give up on using a DVD player as the source device. Instead switch to a dedicated PC as your DVD player and use the PC to perform the scaling to match the projector. This should yield very good results at half the cost of a high end scaler.

3. Andre Starck

Andre Starck Auditioning

Ok thank you very much for replying.

I hear all your saying and it sounds like I have the best solution I can get without going the HTPC option for the time being.

My other quesiton then is, do I need the transconder?/

can I go directly from the DVD player to the breakout cable? ie DVD->RCA converter plugs->BNC breakout cable-> Projector VGA input?

If I read your reply correctly then the breakout also carries the H and V synch signals and by using only the RGB cable I'll be missing those and that wont work. Is that correct?

Yes the shop I bought it all from (projector, transconder, DVD player) sold it all as a package and set it all up for me so I never really understood why I needed the transconder. The other option they gave me was Projector, Iscan pro and DVD player but that was out of my price range, being about AUS$2500 more.

I guess I've done the right thing then and this is as best as it's going to get?

Thank you again for helping me understadn it all.

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Here in North America I could say immediately that a breakout cable wouldn't be able to transcode the component video which is output by the player. However, you mention both PAL and NTSC playback by the player and I know that a european player to Scart connection is possible by just a cable because those players ouput RGB instead of component video. So perhaps you have some hope, but that would assume the projector could understand the sync on green and the VGA input could handle the scan rate and resolution of the player.