Video / Audio selector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KellyG, Dec 9, 2004.

1. KellyG

KellyG Auditioning

I need to replace my A/V receiver as it has neither S video nor digital ins/outs but to try and put it off a little while I bought a Philips PH61153 automatic video / audio selector. As my TV, DVD and 2 sats have S video I can run these to the selector and then one S cable to the TV. Yeah! No more changing the A/V input selection. I ran everything through the 5.1 channel.

Bummer. This thing isn't working right. In automatic mode it thinks my sat 510 is on when it's not. I've got to work with the priorities that it uses (which component gets plugged into which input) so I can hopefully get it to work automatically. Has anyone had any experience with the Philips PH61153?

Is there another automatic selector that anyone has used and had good experience with?

Thanks

2. KellyG

KellyG Auditioning

Just finished doing a lot of reading on a search for "selector". Interesting stuff and a lot to choose from. As I am not HD yet I'm going to see if I can work out the issues I have with the Ph-61153 first before I try some of the more expensive choices. I'll post back as to how it came out.

3. KellyG

KellyG Auditioning

Sat down today and tried to work out the priorities but it looks to be a bust. I'm going to return it and get the Radio Shack 15-1988 and see if I have better luck. For whatever reason whatever is plugged into input 4 on the front locks in and won't release in auto mode.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

5. KellyG

KellyG Auditioning

Well, unfortunately, no luck with the RS 15-1988 either. It displays the same problem as the Philips in that what ever is plugged into the front port shows as being active even when it isn't powered. I liked the RS model better as it had more outputs and was a nicer looking unit but it was twice the cost for the same problem. I'm still going to keep the Philips though as I can't see spending more than $50 for a switcher and it allows me to transmit S video for all of my components. Unfortunately I have to actually walk to the TV to change components.