What's new

Video & Audio Interfaces (1 Viewer)

Chuck_K

Grip
I'm considering an Infocus 7205 projector. The product literature indicates that it accepts DVI, Component or VESA video input. My cable company (Time Warner) says their box does not have a DVI connector (SA Explorer) that's enabled. What will I sacrifice by using the Component interface instead of DVI?

I've also noted that the box I have (SA Explorer 2200) only has L/R audio output. Don't I need different audio output (AC-3) to handle 5.1 sound?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some boxes do not support 5.1 sound, and as you've found with this one, if it doesn't have a digital connection, it does not support it.

You might notice a slight improvement with DVI (varies some with devices), but you should still get an excellent picture and color with component video, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Nothing. In fact - you will save money because I believe you can get 20+ ft component cables for a lot less than a 20+ ft DVI cable.

The digital connection is ... sexy/trendy, but while the digital connection could be superior - it really is not. It could be argued that the copy-protection features of the digital connection could make it inferior to a setup with component cables.

Hit the custom sites for price comparison between component and DVI and I think you will be pleased at the prices for a good component cable from places like www.bluejeanscables.com.

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Bob, except that DVI is less suceptible to noise and interference over longer runs. If you have a short run to make, and don't have to run along side power cables and such, component will be as good as dvi, some might even say better. It all comes down to which piece of equipment does the digital to analog conversion better, the source or the display.

digital connection (audio) = coax or toslink. coax looks like a single rca jack, as opposed to the red and white pair, and toslink is optical, it will have a plug or cover over it, and will have a red light behind that cover.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A question still exists as to whether cable companies will continue to offer any high definition programming via component video, versus via DVI with HDCP (high definition content protection) encryption.

As far as I know, set to box tuners for over the air HDTV must offer HDTV via component video for all shows broadcast in HDTV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Chuck_K

Grip

continue? well the component interface is the only interface provided by time warner. they have crippled the digital DVI connector on the SA boxes - i think intentionally to prevent copying the digital signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks