VideGame market in downward Spiral?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DeathStar1, Feb 14, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Dec 28, 2001

Just read an article linked onthe home theater forum, stating how game sales have dropped off a bit.

one of the reasons I don't buy too many games these days, is that 3D games tend to rely on exploring more than 2D games. I don't find this all that fun. When you have to read a walkthrough to get the full experience of the game, it's not as easy to pick up and go.

Are many games like Super Mario Brothers made anymore these days? Or are the majority of games 3D Exploring/action?
  2. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

May 1, 2000
    The majority of console games nowadays are based around "exploration". Games like Super Mario 64 in the nineties and Grand Theft Auto 3 more recently have proved it can be done well, and that people will purchase it in great numbers. Unfortunately, in the industry this translates into "it's all we should ever develop."

I would say a prime exception to this rule are space-shooter games, which run on a "rail". Still, they are only a small niche in the market and are not platformers in any sense of the word.

Games like Klonoa 2 for the Playstation 2 utilized three-dimensional graphics but use "rail-based" levels which have a beginning, middle and end. Games like Maximo also have 3D levels and exploration, but the levels themselves are actually quite linear, with usually only one way to advance.

So yeah, they are being made. But people see 2D as inferior technology rather than just a different stylistic choice.

Many, many "Mario-style" platform games are still being made for the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy DS. It's their bread and butter. Thank goodness for "inferior" technology!