Victory at Sea complete dvd set coming 9/30...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd s, Jul 25, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

Finally. Gotta love the music and narration.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The musical score for this remains, after fifty years, one of the most stirring of all time. "Song Of the High Seas" (title and credit music) never fails to send shivers through me. More evocative than I could possibly describe.

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Anyone want my old VHS box set? [​IMG]

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Victory At Sea has been available on dvd in R2 and R4 for quite some time; hopefully, the R1 release will look better than those.

Thank God I sold my complete laser disc collection for a decent sum just before this was announced (I'm shipping it today).

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    So have any reviewers received review copies of Victory At Sea yet from A&E? I wonder how well the Richard Rogers score will be presented. It's the best Rogers "musical", just like wags say Verdi's Requiem is "his best opera". [​IMG]

It's odd that A&E's site lists it as ready to ship:
    http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=70967

7. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Wow this would be a great Xmas gift for my dad as he loved the VHS tapes when he saw them a loooooooooooong time ago.

DD DVD has it for considerably less than the MSRP as well!!

Greg

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Dennis: The A&E website often ships their product before it is generally available.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The Bits has a review up, though I haven't read it yet. I don't know if Gord's planning to review it or not.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Cool - it was posted after my question.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...toryatsea.html

Well Bill isn't too happy: "The video and audio quality on these DVDs is serviceable, but a generally mixed bag." Most of the footage is from combat photographers so it is reasonable to expect less than perfect quality - it's not like Freddy Young was sitting there with a 70mm camera on a dolly.... But the music was recorded in a studio and therefore the sound should rate better than a "C".

11. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Keep in mind that while the musical score, available separately, is in great shape, the audio on these masters is a bit of a mess. The condition of the video and audio seems to vary greatly from episode to episode. This is in addition to the varying condition of the footage in each episode - this is very much an issue of deteroriating masters. Some episodes are in better shape than others. Don't look for remastered quality unfortunately. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Average. Thankfully, the quality of the program overcomes this.

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Richard Rodgers (there's a d in there). [​IMG] The show uses combat footage which is at best variable. As Mr. Hunt says, it's the quality of the program that counts.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thanks Bill for your comments and I'm still getting this dvd set.

Crawdaddy

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

It looks like I'll be keeping my R4 set. sounds like the quality is pretty much the same.

15. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

You bet. It's definitely still worth having, no doubt about it. Particularly if you're a fan. I just think it's a shame that it hasn't been remastered. I'm wondering what the condition of the original masters is. Do they still have the original film prints? That second episode almost looks as if it was transferred from an analog tape. I really wish there were liner notes that explained the condition and handling of the masters.

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The series was originally produced "in house" by NBC. Eventually the rights moved on to others (Viacom?). I suspect that if there were any original material not used it was destroyed after the series was completed. In the early 50s the networks rarely saved stuff that they produced other then the final program. The footage used was obtained from the Department of Defense (War Department during WW II). The same or similar footage would have been used for various newsreels of the period as well. I would guess there are better quality sources available but at what cost would it be to find the material? It would, to answer my question, probably be very prohibitive. Footage was mostly filmed in 16mm. Some of it in color, which was converted to black and white for the series and period newsreels.

We had a neighbor in NYC who was a trombone player for the NBC Symphony Orchestra. He played during the original scoring sessions. In the late 50s RCA re-recorded much of the music in stereo for several LPs.

17. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Peter,

NBC did indeed produce the series as an "in-house" production (like "Bonanza", "Little House", "The Weakestlink", etc.)

The television distribution rights actually went to NTA (later Republic, today Paramount Domestic Television), while the original video rights ended up with Embassy (later New Line).

Eventually the series went into the public domain, which is why you've seen many "unauthorized" video versions during the years, and sometimes murky prints on mainly low-power television stations.

Now that the series has been officially released on DVD, is there a copyright notice on the new set?

Hopefully someone can answer me this.