What's new

Victoria's Secret Pre-Empted? (1 Viewer)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
While my wife and I were watching amazing race the commercials for VS Show whould last 1 second then goto doppler radar. We did not think anything of it but when AR ended it went to an episode of Frasier. Any other areas not getting the broadcast. I had no plans to watch had to finish Sum of All Fears. It really makes me mad they would not show it, I did not think I was in a city that would be sensitive to such a thing, they showed it last year on ABC. I assume it is a local CBS thing.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
It is the price we pay for living in a Bible thumping hick town.

I beleive they WCTV replayed it at some ungodly hour.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You should coomplain to that CBS TV affiliate, just to let them know how disappointed you are with their decision not to broadcast the VS special.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
My parents live in Tallahassee. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they bumped it. Hell they cover up the magazines in the grocery store checkout aisles in that town, so showing a fashion show on tv at 9pm would be absolutely unheard of there.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Don't complain to the affiliate, complain to the network. They may not even know their affiliate is not carrying their programming...

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Haha..

"Tonight's display of nature has been pre-empted so that we may bring you more clean and family-friendly death and violent worship of a gun culture. Enjoy!"

One of the few really rotten things about Tallahassee, a place I otherwise enjoyed as a home.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe the network was fully aware that the show was being pre-empted in some of the, um, less enlightened areas of the country. Just another example of a few self-righteous a**holes making decisions on your behalf about what you will and will not be allowed to see in our supposedly "free" country. :rolleyes

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
few self-righteous a**holes making decisions on your behalf about what you will and will not be allowed to see in our supposedly "free" country
It is a free contry so therefore the affiliates chose not to air the show. Since CBS is free for you and paid by the sponsors the station chose to listen to the sponsors concerns. When you own a TV station and give your product to the public for free then in this 'free country' you have a rite to air the VSFS. I dont like censorship, but frankly, this is not censorship...its a business decission made by businessmen. Thier money and carears are on the line, not yours.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
this is not censorship...its a business decission made by businessmen.
Censorship in the guise of a "business decision" is the easiest way to accomplish censorship. Threaten the finances of the person/company you don't agree with (via complaints to sponsors or direct lawsuit) and the censor usually triumphs. The financial implications to the targeted entity are usually of more critical importance than defending the principle.

Personally, I didn't watch the show, and had no interest in watching the show. But I feel that it should be available to all those who did want to watch it, regardless of where they may choose to live.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What about all the college kids at FSU? I'm sure they would have wanted to see it and I'm sure they bring more money into the town than anyone else.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Censorship in the guise of a "business decision" is the easiest way to accomplish censorship. Threaten the finances of the person/company you don't agree with (via complaints to sponsors or direct lawsuit) and the censor usually triumphs.
I'm curious to know what you would do to remedy the "censorship". Would you have forced the affiliates to carry the show irrespective of lost ad revenue? Would you mandate that everyone threatening a boycott of the sponsors be required to purchase the sponsor's products? Would you mandate that no one could complain to the stations about the show? Such actions would be far more harmful than the station's refusal to carry the show. Or would you do something else?

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I found out they did finally show it at 1:30 after Kilborn. I asked at work and they said something was mentioned on the 6 oclock new but they could not remember what exactly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You know, I finally got around to watching this "special" and there was about 5 minutes of content, the rest was just superfluous performances by Phil Collins, Marc Anthony, and Destiny's Child.

Plus, my reaction to seeing some of those models:

EAT SOMETHING!

Some of those models walked really strangely, I have no idea how they stayed on their feet wearing the high heels with such a strange gait.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As MikeAlletto said, everyone should be able to make their own decision about whether or not to watch. The decision shouldn't be made by some button pusher at a local TV affiliate (even if they do eventually broadcast a show in the middle of the night).

And, yes, if I were the network I would make broadcast of network programming mandatory. If an affiliate has agreed to form a relationship with a specific network, I think that is an implicit agreement to act as an outlet for that network's programming...all of it. If an affiliate wants to be independent, picking and choosing which programming to broadcast, then they can stay independent and buy their own programming from the syndicated offerings. But they shouldn't be allowed to join a major network, then micro-manage what's coming through the satellite feed according to their own personal whims and opinion thereby imposing their personal views on their entire market audience.

If I were the station manager, I'd remain loyal to my network (per my contract agreement) and broadcast their program. Protests against such shows are just a brief, focused annoyance. Given a bit of time, people who stage such protests are soon forgotten and sponsors return.

If the local station is so concerned, they can also have a brief introduction to the show, or a "crawl" during the first minutes of the show, warning viewers that This show contains mature content and is not appropriate for young children or the easily offended. If you do not wish to watch our program, we invite you to come back at 9 p.m. for 'Show X.'

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
If you can still buy the VSFS on video or DVD then it is DEFINATTLY not censorship!
Ask someone in Saudi Arabia or China what censorship REALLY is!

tell the networks and producers and directors to stop being so PC and tell people if they don't like it to not watch it
And what do they tell sponsors who will no longer pay the operating costs of thier stations? Will YOU volenteer your money to run the affiliate?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And what do they tell sponsors who will no longer pay the operating costs of thier stations? Will YOU volenteer your money to run the affiliate?
If the sponsors are causing financial issues for the affiliate, then the affiliate needs to contact the network and ask them for their support to make up the difference.

If the network feeds a show to their affiliates as appropriate for broadcast, then they should be willing to support and shield those couple of affiliates who may be the target of some misguided attack because the show offends the delicate sensibilities of a few folks who apparently refuse to simply change the channel.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
You think that's bad? We haven't seen the Grammy awards show in this city for several years because it always conflicts with a local college basketball game.

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson after the 1992 Olympics, when they cut away from the nail-biting gold medal hockey game in favor of the local college basketball coach's "show."

Fortunately, this station is now broadcasting HD, and have promised that if they pre-empt network content on the analog feed, the digital feed will still have the CBS stuff. Progress!

Ryan

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Some of those models walked really strangely
Yeah, it's that "runway walk" that seems to be designed to emphasize the movement of their hips and (at least in the case of the endowed ones such as Tyra Banks) make them "bounce".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks