Vice (2018)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Vice

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Adam McKay

Cast: Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, Don McManus, Alison Pill, Tyler Perry, Kirk Bovill, LisaGay Hamilton, Bill Pullman, Lily Rabe, Stefania LaVie Owen, Shea Whigham, Adam Bartley, Fay Masterson, Brandon Sklenar, Vanessa Cloke, Jillian Armenante, Brandon Firla, Alex MacNicoll, Cailee Spaeny, Abigail Marlowe, Jeff Bosley, Jeff Bosley, Melody Hollis, Pilar Holland, Matt Miller, Robert L. Hughes, Mark Bramhall, Tiffany Smith

Release: 2018-12-14

Plot: Biopic of Dick Cheney, the 46th Vice President of the US, under President Bush, and during the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack. Widely regarded as one of the most powerful and influential VPs in history, he is known for promoting an expansion of powers of the presidency, through which he held strong political influence towards conservative orthodoxy and coordination of the War on Terrorism.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know. This doesn't look very good. Is this a comedy? Plays like an SNL skit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's got a great cast. I'll give it that.

I'll probably end up seeing it if it contends meaningfully for major awards.

But at first bruh, I'm not really into this one personally.

Does the world really want a political biopic right now? I get more than enough politics from the news.

Political documentaries (Fahrenheit 9/11, The Death of a Nation) haven't been working at the box office this year, even as documentaries overall are having a banner year. We'll see if moviegoers want to see a biopic of a very recent vice president in the current climate or not.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I really enjoyed Both Anchorman movies, Talladega Nights and Step Brothers. But McKay lost me with the Other Guys. While there were some very funny moments in that film, there was also a strong anti capitalism, anti conservative undercurrent. And much like Bob Roberts, those types of scenes were neither very clever nor intellectually biting.

So to have a director with a known liberal bias, and a trailer that portrays Cheney as a power hungry tyrant and W. As a patsy, I’ll pass.

Not trying to start a political discussion, and W. Had plenty of flaws, I’m not saying he’s untouchable. Think what you will of his presidency, but his portrayal in this trailer is so cliche and stereotypical. It makes it hard to take the rest of the trailer seriously.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have no interest in this film as I have an utter distaste for the man being portrayed. I don't mind him being excoriated because he is MORE than deserving, but I want absolutely nothing to do with the man or stories about him. Investigative journalism has already dissected the man, don't need to see a film about him, too.

Having said that. what a superb cast!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will see it. I would not have thought of Bale to play Cheney but looks like he got there. Plus, I mean they have to do the scene where Cheney shoots a hunting partner in the face, right? I think Carell as Rumsfeld looks a bit too soft. Rummy was much more of a crazed bastard. I liked Scott Glenn's take on him in W.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Back from the screening of Vice. I have mixed feelings. Being left of center myself, I have no problems with the film's "liberal" agenda. It's a satire (or black comedy if you prefer) but with all the subtlety of a hammer. The film acknowledges that Dick Cheney is a very "secretive" and private man then the film gives a lot of behind the scenes stories which are both speculative and unsubstantiated. This is the kind of film that worries me when people go to see it and then repeat the film's speculation as fact. "I saw it in the movie so it must be true". That being said, with one exception, the acting is superb. Both Christian Bale and Amy Adams are awesome. I had problems with Sam Rockwell's Bush which seemed more of a caricature than a real person. Like Alec Baldwin's Trump on SNL. It's a very clever movie, perhaps too clever for its own good.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer for Vice on TV tonight.

Yikes! Christian Bale couldn't look, sound and act more like Dick Cheney in those brief clips shown.

The funny thing is we watched Newsies tonight. And while I know Christian Bale is now 26 years older...WOW! Freaky.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer for Vice on TV tonight.

Yikes! Christian Bale couldn't look, sound and act more like Dick Cheney in those brief clips shown.
I also thought Sam Rockwell's take on Dubya, while less of a straight impersonation than other recent portrayals, came closer to capturing the feel of the man.

I remember when Oliver Stone's W came out a decade ago, how artificial everything felt, because the performances felt like caricatures. Here the tone is darkly wry, and the characters are allowed to be film characters instead of historical figures, but it oddly feels more "real" than the straighter takes on the subject matter.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
This is worth seeing just for Bale's performance alone. He gets my vote for Best Actor this year.

The film itself is fine, although I wouldn't say the screenplay is necessarily worthy of it's Golden Globe nomination. It's certainly a much better film than W. McKay uses the same style he used in The Big Short and it works for the most part. I thought the entire cast did a superb job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is worth seeing just for Bale's performance alone. He gets my vote for Best Actor this year.

The film itself is fine, although I wouldn't say the screenplay is necessarily worthy of it's Golden Globe nomination. It's certainly a much better film than W. McKay uses the same style he used in The Big Short and it works for the most part. I thought the entire cast did a superb job.
My film grade is 4 out of 5 stars. I'll be buying this on 4K/UHD disc if it's released in that format.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it today. Didn’t like it. From the Oscar thread.

Saw Vice today.

Thought it was a mess of a film without any clear focus. Everyone was portrayed pretty much as corrupt and a buffoon. There were no characters I liked. Perhaps that was the point.

Christian Bales makeup gave a good performance I guess but he was pretty much one note.

My least favorite film of the nominees by a wide margin so far.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Watched it last week. Was far too kind to Cheney.

That said, Bale was good; the real problems were around some of the associated characters, which seemed to be far less considered; without being political, too much of this was portrayed as Cheney pushing other people without those other people being at times the originators of those policies.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks