Vibrapod: Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Geoff H, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Or vibrapod type feet. And do they work?

2. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I have a set I'm using to elevate my Tivo. All I wanted was to get some more air flow underneath my Tivo, so yeah, they worked. [​IMG]

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I use them under my receiver and DVD player because my SVS is right next to the rack. They work quite well.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have a kind of funny bedroom, with tons of computer and home theater gear in it. The reason I mention this is because I ran out of room to have a floor rack for my components and built one for the top of my L-shaped desk. Although my power amp is off by itself, the rack holds five components. The problem I was having was that the desk vibrations from the sub were shaking so loudly at times that my CD player would skip like crazy. I figured out the weight of the whole rack and bought four of the heavier vibrapods to put underneath it. I placed each vibrapod in a coaster, as I'd heard they could leave a stain. Now, I can pound the desk as hard as I can and absolutely no skipping. To be honest, I'm stunned as to how well they're working. To me, they're a bargain.

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I use them under LCR speaker and DVD player. They are great if you have the center channel on top of you TV or mains in a bookshelf as I do. Decoupling speakers is always a good idea. Also anything to help the DVD player is good as well.

6. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I use Vibrapods under my center channel, amps, pre/pro CD, DVD and video processor. I built DIY isolation stands that "sandwich" the Vibrapods between a bottom layer of glass and a top layer of finished MDF (both custom-cut to the size of the component).

Fussy? Yeah, a little but easy to do and I think it helps in my room with my stuff - for not much cash.

I'll have some updated pics of the stands as part of a much-needed web site overhaul that I plan to have done in a few weeks.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Placing vibrapods under my noisy first-generation Yamaha DVD-1000 nearly silenced it. It also used to run quite hot, but the additional ventilation under the player seemed to solve this. My players since then have been quieter and cooler, but I continue to use the pods. Can't say I ever noticed a performance difference.

Paul, that's a very nice home theatre setup you have there!

Adam

8. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.
    Not any mention as to whether or not there was an audible/sonic difference (improvement) with the pods. . .?
    I ordered 4 pods from cj's audio -- I spoke with Craig, nice guy, says that he's even had a University order them to put under their microscopes! I'll try them under the CD player & if there's a noticeable improvement I'll order more.
    Found a few links that all claim to improve all; bass, mids, highs etc. Here's one example
    Thanks,
    Geoff

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Can't say I noticed a difference, but I do use them under my Marantz receiver and DVD player. I use mouse pads under my Adcom amps for now and they seem to work just as well.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

OK,
    I'll zip up the flame suit, snap on the helmet and confess that I...um... believe I heard a small sonic improvement in my system. I can't elaborate, or I'm sure to burn, as I can't provide the outcome of complex double-blind testing, scientific proof, quantifiable results or any other statistical support for my claim. [​IMG]
    What the heck, a few bucks to try a Stereophile-recommended accessory that costs you about as much as a lunch at your favorite burger joint. And...if you don't like 'em, they'll make great little stands for your cue ball collection.
    As always, your mileage WILL vary.
    Craig is a great guy.
    Very helpful.
    Now, if I...could just...get..this...suit...on......

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I have a set of Walker Audio Valid Points that I use under my Theta Casa Nova. To me they add greater detail and firmed up the sound in all ranges, in particular the bass.

Anyhow I felt they made enough of an improvement to spend $325 for them.

12. Philip Brandes

Philip Brandes Stunt Coordinator

I bought a set for my front speakers. They made absolutely no audible difference, but at their going price they are a wallet-friendly place to channel any tweaking impulse. Highly recommended.

Philip Brandes

13. Hank

Hank Guest

I have 6 under my PS Audio P300 Power Plant, very effective isolation and they are cheap.

IMO one of the best isolation products is Black Diamond Racing cones (set of 3 $60). I have these under my Sony SACD player.

14. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I use them under my CDP and DVD player. Do they work ? Sure they do... are there better isolation devices out there.. absolutely.
    But the price will rise exponentially... as listed above.
    A very nice cost effective tweak, IME.
    Tightens bass response and clears up some smearing in the mid/HF range. As always, YMMV.
    What the pods rest on is of significance as well. On a poor rack, or platform, they do little. Put them between your component and 1 1/2" solid granite base, on a solid, well designed rack, and you will take notice.

But at the price point, who can bitch. Depends how you integrate them into other efforts you have undertaken to minimize rack-born vibrations. Airborn vibrations are another story.... and extreme measures and $ are involved here.

Highly recommended tweak, IMHO.

BOK

15. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Do you guys put them under the component's feet or in contact with the bottom of the component itself? Vibrapod's website seems to indicate that the latter is recommended, but that seems like kind of a PITA with equipment that has an uneven bottom (like most CD & DVD changers).

Mark

16. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Mark,
    I did not remove the feet of my components. Instead, I made vibrapod "sandwiches" using glass and MDF. The Glass went on the shelf first, then the vibrapods on the glass. Finally, MDF (painted to suit your tastes) on top of the pods and the equipment on the MDF. Looks cool, improves performance (according to the vibrapod folks) and easy to do. FWIW -and- YMMV.

-Paul