viability of 6.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Chiavaroli, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should even try to set up a 6th or a 7th channel for surround. My issue is that the viewing area (couch) is against a wall. Has anyone set up a 6th or a 6th and 7th channel where the listening/viewing area is against the back wall? If so, how did it work out?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Rich,
    When I added my back surround speakers I had to move my bed out from the wall in order to get the two speakers in the back area. I say bed because I had my HT system setup in my bedroom but I have since moved and now have a separate living area for my HT. Moving your couch out is the only way to add speakers to the rear for additional back surround.

3. Rich Chiavaroli

Well unfortunately I don't have the option to move the couch out.

So even with di/tri/quad - polar speakers mounted a little higher than the listening position, it just wouldn't function properly?

4. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

My rear center channel is the Axiom QS8. My couch is against the back wall. I have tried it both ways and can honestly say that I like 6.1 better. I can only vouch for my setup though. I'm not sure how others would fair in this scenario.

5. Rich Chiavaroli

Thanks Jim. I had the QS8 in mind when I asked the question. Where on the wall do you have yours placed? I'd assume that it's not right in the listeners ear..

6. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I've been dealing with the same issue, and Dolby sure doesn't have a solution. I sit right against the wall and have my N26 surrounds mounted on the back wall about 3 feet down from the ceiling firing toward eachother, which doesn't leave much flexibility. I've decided to mount an N24 on the ceiling and point it down right at my head. It should be high enough above the other two surrounds to not be that easily localized. I hope it works out alright. Perhaps I should consider a dipole?

7. Rich Chiavaroli

Justin H -

I'm either going to mount Axiom QS8's on the side walls pointing at the listeners or on the celing pointing at the listeners.

My thought for a 6th and possibly 7th channel was to mount 1 or 2 more QS8's on the back wall. I thought that 2 would do a better job of filling in the rear.. and I was thinking the QS8's because they're quadpole.

I was thinking that it might work if I used 2 and placed them a couple feet above the listeners and just outside the couch. I guess the only way I'm going to know is to try.

8. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I have my surrounds mounted on the side wall pointed at the listeners as well. Actually, right in the corner where the side and back wall meet. This setup has worked very well for me. If I read you correctly you haven't yet mounted your surrounds (4th and 5th channel)I would suggest you give this a shot first. Mounting them on the ceiling won't allow for future expandability. Then you can try the 6th, or 6th and 7th, on the ceiling which is what I'm about to try. I'll be sure to post my thoughts after experimenting.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have the same situation, and I get very good results with 2 dipoles in the rear corners with the null facing the listening position and 2 direct speakers placed forward of the listening position and turned backwards. BUT (and this is important) I don't play anything in Surround EX or any variant of DTS-ES. I use a Lexicon MC-1, and everything is played through a variant of Logic7. This gives me the flexibility to "tune" this arrangement to the oddities of the room and the speaker configuration. I'm not sure the arrangement would work with a receiver or processor that didn't have similar flexibility.

M.

10. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I have the center mounted right above my head and the surrounds are located on the side walls.