What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How does the blu ray of Suzie Wong look?
That disc is out of stock at many retailers. If it's in-stock, it's pricing has been gouged to $60.00+. To buy this at a reasonable price, we can only hope that Kino releases it.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I hope I still receive my copies of the Suzie Wong and third Noir set. I ordered them months ago along with Golden Boy and Storm Center. Because GB and SC were delayed, the other two never shipped. I emailed Imprint, wanting to confirm I would still receive Suzie Wong and the Noir set, hoping they held these back from those sets available for others to purchase. No response.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hope I still receive my copies of the Suzie Wong and third Noir set. I ordered them months ago along with Golden Boy and Storm Center. Because GB and SC were delayed, the other two never shipped. I emailed Imprint, wanting to confirm I would still receive Suzie Wong and the Noir set, hoping they held these back from those sets available for others to purchase. No response.
They do take awhile to respond but they will...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I don't think Kino will would have the extras included on the 2 disc Imprint boxset. The documentary "Chinese American" is outstanding.
The list price ( discounted) was the equivalent to $46 US .
I'm getting mine for $60 with shipping. I don't feel too gouged

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think Kino will would have the extras included on the 2 disc Imprint boxset. The documentary "Chinese American" is outstanding.
The list price ( discounted) was the equivalent to $46 US .
I'm getting mine for $60 with shipping. I don't feel too gouged
Where are you ordering it from as Imprint is out-of-stock? So you're not going to get a discounted money exchange with these American companies.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ken, guys, I know the $60 price does seem steep. But as Ken said, the set includes the film Hollywood Chinese in a separately house case in the box. It’s pretty nicely packaged!

i did watch the film last night, I did not try to compare to the old DVD, but it does look very clean. Colors are good, but not overly brightened. The film grain is intact and not processed out. The shots of William Holden are sharp, but the shots of Nancy Kwan tended to be a little soft. Maybe it was a filter. But not super soft, I could see freckles on her face in one close-up. The location shots done in Hong Kong look great! Sound is fine and intelligible. It’s full 16x9 framing so it fills the entire screen. I did not expect that and expected this to be scope framing.

While I doubt it will happen, I’d be curious what Mr. Harris thinks of the release. Not being a domestic release, I figured he’s not seen this release.

I forget this is an Australian release. So since I bought this, it will likely come out from Paramount next year. :( But I don’t regret picking this set up. It was worth picking up. The film looks great!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Ken, guys, I know the $60 price does seem steep. But as Ken said, the set includes the film Hollywood Chinese in a separately house case in the box. It’s pretty nicely packaged!

i did watch the film last night, I did not try to compare to the old DVD, but it does look very clean. Colors are good, but not overly brightened. The film grain is intact and not processed out. The shots of William Holden are sharp, but the shots of Nancy Kwan tended to be a little soft. Maybe it was a filter. But not super soft, I could see freckles on her face in one close-up. The location shots done in Hong Kong look great! Sound is fine and intelligible. It’s full 16x9 framing so it fills the entire screen. I did not expect that and expected this to be scope framing.

While I doubt it will happen, I’d be curious what Mr. Harris thinks of the release. Not being a domestic release, I figured he’s not seen this release.

I forget this is an Australian release. So since I bought this, it will likely come out from Paramount next year. :( But I don’t regret picking this set up. It was worth picking up. The film looks great!
Suzie Wong was not a scope film so the framing is perfect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought it from Deep Discount, $60. I believe it is still available to order from them.
Yeah, I know about DD as posted that DD link in one of my prior posts. You confuse me in one of your prior posts talking about the Australian dollar value when it's still going to cost you $60.00.

Has that pricing always been that high as I thought that disc was much cheaper a few months ago?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It was more expensive originally at DD. Bottom line $60 US is a great price for a two disc set at DD for this boxset. Kino will never have all the extras that this 2 disc set has. For me It was well worth the price.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Already have the US release of Season 5 of Avengers and the excellent U.K. releases of Season 4 and 6 and a fraction of the cost of Imprint so I'm good. I believe they are all still available.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I have a dumb question about the HOLLYWOOD CHINESE bonus disc. The film is from an SD source, interlaced at that. It's not even up rezed. Why is it on a blu ray disc? I am misinterpreting the disc data?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Does anyone know if Imprint "out of stock" titles are now gone? Or will they come back in stock at some point?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Imprint is a label whose monthly announcements I very closely watch and genuinely anticipate, unlike something like Criterion, who seem to strive to only focus on films with very limited appeal (old foreign arthouse films, quirky dramas and documentaries). Imprint doesn't have the best track record as far as picture quality but that's not necessarily a dealbreaker when it comes to whether or not I decide to pick up one of their titles. Their attractive packaging makes the decision even easier.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
They Might do what Indicator and Arrow do, have a limited edition and then a standard edition?
Not "might do". That's what they do. The limited edition -- which is just adding a slipcase -- is offered first, and usually runs 1000-1500 copies. Once that's sold out (from Via Vision; there still might be copies available at various dealers) they'll release a standard edition. It might not be straightaway, though.

I imagine that if the limited edition took a really long time to sell out, they might not be in a rush to do a standard edition. I don't actually know, however, if there are any titles that have sold out the LE but didn't get an SE. I haven't been keeping up with the Imprint catalog in quite a while.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Not "might do". That's what they do. The limited edition -- which is just adding a slipcase -- is offered first, and usually runs 1000-1500 copies. Once that's sold out (from Via Vision; there still might be copies available at various dealers) they'll release a standard edition. It might not be straightaway, though.

I imagine that if the limited edition took a really long time to sell out, they might not be in a rush to do a standard edition. I don't actually know, however, if there are any titles that have sold out the LE but didn't get an SE. I haven't been keeping up with the Imprint catalog in quite a while.
The Carpetbaggers seems to be the only one??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks