Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
1606325361864.png

RBailey

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hall
BREAKDOWN is a must-see for the great practical effects used in some of the most harrowing action scenes ever. It looked great on standard DVD and I'm looking forward to buying the Blu-ray. I showed this to my grandson (a fan of the Fast & Furious franchise) and he couldn't believe how they did some of this without CGI.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, Breakdown is a great thriller. I loved it in the theater and have owned it on laserdisc, DVD, and now have an HD streaming copy. Highly recommended.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It will be nice to have Bridges At Toko Ri and The Apostle in anamorphic transfers. Their DVD incarnations are full frame (BATR) and non anamorphic wide screen (TA).

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It will be nice to have Bridges At Toko Ri and The Apostle in anamorphic transfers. Their DVD incarnations are full frame.
Will Toko Ri be widescreen? The streaming HD versions are 1.33.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Will Toko Ri be widescreen? The streaming HD versions are 1.33.

An assumption on my part as the film was released in December of 1954, well into the wide screen era. I seriously doubt it was shown 1.37 in cinemas at that point. If the blu ray is 1.33, I'm not interested.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
An assumption on my part as the film was released in December of 1954, well into the wide screen era. I seriously doubt it was shown 1.37 in cinemas at that point. If the blu ray is 1.33, I'm not interested.
The movie was filmed during the first quarter of 1954, so it should be in widescreen ratio.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
The ones out of this batch that excite me the most are Five, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, and Black Sunday.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
I'll be waiting for links at Deep Discount for "Black Sunday" and "Bridges At Toko-Ri". I ordered copies of "Major Dundee" from them and from Via Vision but the latter has never been sent so I can't trust going that route.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Increasingly, Imprint is becoming a dumping ground for C-grade video masters that haven't been given any sort of consideration to ready them for a Blu-ray release. A Place in the Sun looks awful - dark, fuzzy and grainy. The Day of the Locust in an atrocity that seems to herald its master from the ole VHS days. When Worlds Collide had a ton of Technicolor mis-registration issues, and, No Way To Treat a Lady had terribly faded colors, and jaundice flesh tones. Yes, there have been some solid efforts scattered throughout the franchise.

But frankly, I don't want to pre-order titles months ahead, with anticipation, only to get 3rd grade plunk being peddled as fine wine. If they're not going to take the time to insist upon an upgraded master from the studio (not saying it has to be perfect, just up to snuff for the current standards - a little dirt and age-related stuff, passable if not forgivable) there is really no point to these releases. Just saying!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Increasingly, Imprint is becoming a dumping ground for C-grade video masters that haven't been given any sort of consideration to ready them for a Blu-ray release. A Place in the Sun looks awful - dark, fuzzy and grainy. The Day of the Locust in an atrocity that seems to herald its master from the ole VHS days. When Worlds Collide had a ton of Technicolor mis-registration issues, and, No Way To Treat a Lady had terribly faded colors, and jaundice flesh tones. Yes, there have been some solid efforts scattered throughout the franchise.

But frankly, I don't want to pre-order titles months ahead, with anticipation, only to get 3rd grade plunk being peddled as fine wine. If they're not going to take the time to insist upon an upgraded master from the studio (not saying it has to be perfect, just up to snuff for the current standards - a little dirt and age-related stuff, passable if not forgivable) there is really no point to these releases. Just saying!

I am really saddened to hear this. I don't buy Imprint titles so I am not aware of how they look.

However, I would *think* Paramount is in charge of overseeing the transfers. And while Imprint is not a U.S. distributor, I would *think* that those titles that eventually get the U.S. release are the same exact transfer which is not a good thing all around.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I paid $25 for Day of the Locust and it's a bummer but i did watch the movie with the commentary and thought it was good and there are some extras on it. The Winslow Boy looks great so happy about that release. I think in the future i might read the reviews first.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
These are by and large the same transfers that have been distributed to streaming storefronts for purchase in the US - if you want to see what it looks like before you buy, try renting it on iTunes or Vudu.

As to whether or not Paramount should provide them, I’m not sure there’s a solution that will please everyone. The disc market has declined dramatically and is still in free fall. A license to sell a thousand or so copies doesn’t come close to the cost of creating a new state of the art master. Many of these titles have limited sales potential for licensing to subscription streaming platforms as well as on disc. From a practical point of view, the choice is between an older but generally decent batch of masters or nothing at all.

For all of the discussion I see about this issue, I don’t really see any acknowledgment of the reality of the marketplace nor any outside the box thinking for how to address those difficult realities. There’s a lot of pitchforks but what are the options here? Should Paramount or any other studio spend money they don’t have on titles that they can’t possibly recoup the investment on, for an audience that generally won’t have an issue with what’s already on hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rai555