What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyhow, I watched it today with the audio commentary by Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman. It looks really good on my OLED.:thumbsup: I can't wait to compare it to the Criterion BD and my 4K/Dolby Vision digital on iTunes.
How do you like that commentary? I don’t think it’s available on the CC edition. I just searched for WOTW on Imprint and didn’t get a hit.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
How do you like that commentary? I don’t think it’s available on the CC edition. I just searched for WOTW on Imprint and didn’t get a hit.

Unfortunately, Imprint's webpage seems to have removed any sold out titles, of which WOTW is one. In fact, all but one (Waterloo) of the first wave of releases have gone OOP. Which is weird. They never explicitly said one way or the other, but they implied (or others inferred) that it was only the slipcases on the releases that were limited (to either 1000 or 1500 copies). There doesn't seem to be any indication so far that there will be any non-limited editions.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I did send a email to website Diabolik about selling The Day of the Locust & The Winslow Boy and they say they would. When i bought Waterloo from them i paid $10 less than Viavision/Imprint's website.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I did send a email to website Diabolik about selling The Day of the Locust & The Winslow Boy and they say they would. When i bought Waterloo from them i paid $10 less than Viavision/Imprint's website.

Is that taking the exchange rate into account? (I can't currently find Waterloo at Diabolik). Remember, ViaVision/Imprint's price is in Australian dollars. AU$35 is US$25. When I ordered the first wave bundle, I paid US$28 each (including shipping).

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Is that taking the exchange rate into account? (I can't currently find Waterloo at Diabolik). Remember, ViaVision/Imprint's price is in Australian dollars. AU$35 is US$25. When I ordered the first wave bundle, I paid US$28 each (including shipping).
Thanks Jerry for the exchange rate info which i forgot but i did get Waterloo for $27.99 total price and was sent to me quickly. Looks like they no longer have it for sale.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jerry for the exchange rate info which i forgot but i did get Waterloo for $27.99 total price and was sent to me quickly. Looks like they no longer have it for sale.

Not finding Waterloo at any of the usual US reshippers. Deep Discount only has listings for Batch 2 -- nothing left from 1 and nothing posted for 3 yet.

I'm also not seeing any of the 1st wave at JB or Sanity any longer and they've been removed from my wishlist so I'm guessing that means they 1st batches are sold out. Like Jerry mentioned, even the Direct Imprint site only has Waterloo left from the 1st batch -- the other 4 titles appear sold out even from them

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JBHiFi has a B2G1 deal and the new Imprint Releases are included in the sale and shipping now is no long 8.50 ea like in preorder stage
I can find any of the 1st wave left so if you want all 5 you may have to order duplicates or find another item.

After the items is processed and shipped you can also request refund of the GST -- normally 10% of item price, but JB calculation sometimes are higher than 10% so I've never figured out exactly how they come up with the numbers

$30AUD ea. (Exchange rate around 0.72)
3 titles -- $60 + 17 shipping
6 titles -- 120 + 20 shipping

After GST refund that should come out to around $50 or 90USD ($17 or even $15ea).
Shipping from AUS has been painfully slow and no tracking normally from JB so it may take 3-6 wks or longer so depends on how price sensitive and patient you are.

This isn't list as a Fathers Day deal nor can I find an end date to the B2G1 [EDIT == appears it may run through 9/13] , but I not sure when that sale starts and if it might be better than this. Often JB sales start on THURSDAY morning Aus Time -- around noon-3pm ET Wed. Eitehr the Imprint titles have just been added at release day to the B2G1 sale or the B2g1 just started b/c they weren't part of it with the last post.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems like 4-6 weeks pre release they'll put the preorders up. I don't think preorders would fit under the B2G1 sale, but JB can be a bit odd. Shipping prices on preorders also tend to be very high since each item is calculated individually it seems (8.50AUD ea to the US)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, Deep Discount has the second wave of Imprint films available for pre order (due September 4th) and currently have a 15% discount code ENJOY that expires August 26th.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My copy of When Worlds Collide shipped from JBHifi yesterday $26.59 USD

As for delivery, my past three orders took one month, two weeks, and two months, so it should arrive between Labor Day and October.

I’ve never done the GST refund before. Is there a process for requesting it?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My copy of When Worlds Collide shipped from JBHifi yesterday $26.59 USD

As for delivery, my past three orders took one month, two weeks, and two months, so it should arrive between Labor Day and October.

I’ve never done the GST refund before. Is there a process for requesting it?

Just contact Customer Service and request a refund on 'order # xxxx' and mention your US shipping address (if your order tells you the GST you can even mention the amt). In the past I've gotten responses in less than an hour or up to a week and 2-3 emails so it can be a bit hit or miss getting the right person. I'm not sure how long you have to request the refund, but they might even apply it retroactively to orders in the last month or two.

I think Aus Time Zone is current 14 hrs ahead of EDT so 9pm ET Tues is 11am Wednesday in Sydney if you want to contact them during their regular business hours.

It's been a while since I've done an order, but I think this is the email I've used in the past -- [email protected]

or
Contact Us button -- ?? choose Order or payment help or Pricing -- I think honestly if you can just get into the system they'll route it to the right department.

Does your order, invoice, receipt have a section that breaks out GST or lists Tax amt -- they've changed their order receipts several time over the years so it's hard to keep up with them
My last order was the 2001 4K Steelbook in late 2018 and there was a line in the order that had GST listed separately

I do think I finally figured out their GST calculation which includes GST on the shipping portion which I never realized so jJust divide your total by 1.1. Sanity subtracts the GST on their orders when you enter your address and the GST is only applied on the item prices, not S/H

Subtotal$69.98
Shipping (Untracked International)$12.00Tax
(GST 10.0%)$7.45
TotalAUD $81.98

( Subtotal+ Shipping)/1.1 = 7.45

Last edited:

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Seems like 4-6 weeks pre release they'll put the preorders up. I don't think preorders would fit under the B2G1 sale, but JB can be a bit odd. Shipping prices on preorders also tend to be very high since each item is calculated individually it seems (8.50AUD ea to the US)
They won't be included in the B2G1. The sale ends on September 13, and no pre-orders have ever been included. Sometimes they will change the release date on titles so that they can put them on the shelf sooner and those get included, but that's never more than 5 days before the actual release date.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Currently JBHiFi has The Day of the Locust & The Winslow Boy at $22 each after conversion to US dollars. DeepDiscount also has it at the list price of $44.99 but the sale price changes all the time plus their discount percent sales.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I have to say, I am decidedly NOT impressed with the second round of ViaVision Imprint transfers. A Place in the Sun and When Worlds Collide were described as being sourced from NEW 4K remasters provided to ViaVision by Paramount, in the case of WWC, from separation masters.

Sorry, but A Place in the Sun is printed waaaay too low, with contrast so dim, fine details are completely lost in scenes shot at night. The image is overall, fuzzy and soft, with a distinct loss of fine detail. This isn't a quality release. As for WWC - lots of issues with 3-strip Technicolor NOT lining up properly.

Honestly, what was the point of a new 4K scan of original separation masters if the time wasn't taken to correct registration issues?!? Also, how about applying just some basic clean-up tools to rid this disc of its age-related debris?!? Some color balancing would have been prudent too so flesh tones don't toggle between purply-pink and ruddy orange from shot to shot. As for No Way To Treat a Lady - what an ugly looking master - faded, debris, softness. Ugh! Finally, Sidney Lumet's Night Falls on Manhattan - soft, non-descript transfer obviously culled from older elements that have not been upgraded in some time!

When ViaVision announced they would be releasing Paramount product I was over the moon with excitement and really could not wait to get my hands on A Place in the Sun - one of the crowd jewels of 50's film-making. But this disc looks only marginally better than the tired old DVD release Paramount did in 2001.

The only title of the new spate I would suggest offers anything near an improvement in quality is The Carpetbaggers and even this is not as startling as it could have been, but actually, is quite good nonetheless; solid color, good contrast, a light smattering of film grain looking indigenous to its source. Okay, pass. Improvement over DVD - yes. Blind purchase? Yep.

I'm not certain what source materials ViaVision is being provided by Paramount here, but Paramount needs to clean house and start doing the heavy lifting here, providing its third-party distributor with some quality fare. I'm still waiting for Roman Holiday, The Sons of Katie Elder and Barefoot in the Park - all coming from Paramount proper - NOT ViaVision - to arrive on my doorstep. But I'm having major apprehensions about what to expect from them now - given how cheap these titles are being sold. A foreshadowing of the quality - or lack thereof? Will keep you posted.

As for ViaVision's releases thus far - only War of the Worlds, Waterloo, and The Duelists rate a pass in my opinion. Sorry Wrong Number was extremely disappointing, as was I Married a Monster from Outer Space. Now, we can add A Place in the Sun, When Worlds Collide, and No Way To Treat a Lady to the compost heap. Badly done! Very badly done, indeed.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems to be a fairly big split in those folks disappointed with the results and those celebrating the lack of "digital tinkering" with a couple of these. I didn't get any of the 1st wave and my 2nd wave just dispatched from AUS so I have no opinion yet, but it has been interesting reading the quite wide splits

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have War of the Worlds and Waterloo and both looked good to me. I hope the two movies i want The Day of the Locust and The Winslow Boy will have good transfers.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've pre-ordered Major Dundee and I'm happy that finally the title is being done right on Blu-Ray after the failure of the TT release to duplicate the DVD experience of letting the extended cut be seen with the original score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks