VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bob_M, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I would like to convert a few VHS to DVD via my computer. I have an ATI TV wonder tuner card installed in my system.

I am not an expert here so I want to make sure I purchase the correct software. If I go with something like ROXIO's Easy Media Creator will I have all I need? How about Adobe's Premiere?

Thanks Bob

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I recently downloaded the trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. I think it's great software. Not extremely user friendly, but once you find your way around it, it's pretty sweet. I've got Easy Media Creator and I'm not a huge fan of it.

I've heard great things about a Sony program called Vegas (I think). It's in the price range with Premiere Elements and is supposed to be very good. Download some trials and see what you like best. Note that you probably won't be able to burn DVD's with the trial version because the MPEG-2 encoder is what you pay for with the product (if you burn with the trial of Premiere Elements it puts an Adobe icon on the screen).

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Vegas is not in the same price range as Premiere Element. Vegas is $600 while their Sony Music Studio (based on Vegas) is $100, like Elements.

Sony had a problem recognizing my breakout box, forcing me to plug the camera directly into the back of the computer. I preferred Sony's interface and feature set but:

A) that was against Adobe Elements 1.0 and

B) I found Adobe more stable on my system.

4. RyanCC

RyanCC Extra

win dvr is pretty good recording software, not sure of the other capabilities, but the tv recorder comes in like 10 times clearer than the ati software.

edit: i guess you can record vcr and other input sources.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Sorry, didn't realize there are multiple versions. Sony Vegas Movie Studio is in the same range as Premiere Elements.

I really like elements. You might consider using something cheap (or free) to do your capture, and then conver to MPEG-2 using TMPG which costs about $80, but offers a competely usable 30 day trial -- and it's worked incredibly well for me so far. It's supposed to be one of the better MPEG-2 encoders on the market (at least at the low end of the market).

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Premiere (Pro) and Vegas are primarily editing programs, and don't do DVD authoring themselves. They are intended to work with other programs -- Encore and DVD Architect, respectively -- to make DVDs (although any DVD program will work, if not quite as conveniently).

Premiere Elements is a complete "easy to use" video-to-DVD program. Note that it will not work on an plain Athlon or Athlon XP, because it requires that the CPU support SSE2. It seems to be a little more high-end (and not as easy) as other programs in the $100 and under range, like Ulead DVD MovieFactory, Pinnacle Studio, and Sony Vegas Movie Studio+DVD.

Note that most of these programs are geared toward capturing DV camera footage. So one way to approach this is to buy a DV converter to convert analog video from your VHS to DV. This means you also need a FireWire port. If you don't have one, FireWire cards are cheap; the DV converters can get pricey. (Or you can buy a converter-on-a-card, like the Canopus ADVC-50.)

However, unless the programs are totally lame, you should also be able to import existing video files. So you may be able to use your ATI TV Wonder. The disadvantage here is that are about a thousand more variables than with DV, which affect both getting it to work, and the quality of the end-product. So it becomes a time vs. money situation.

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Say away from Pinnacle Studio for now. Version 10 is a bottom-to-top rewrite of the software and, as is typical for new Versions of Studio, seems to be as buggy as hell at the moment.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have the Allinwonder also and other programs as well, I got tired of all the time playing with it and Transcoding/ Rendering and all so I bought a DVD Recorder an have not looked back! I hate the menus the Recorder puts on the DVD so I run them throught DVD Shrink and remove it and then burn to DVD- where my Recorder only burns +.

Wes

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just bought a new PC and am looking for some inexpensive DVD editing/authoring software, too. I will be capturing from MiniDV via a firewire interface, along with Hi8mm video passed through the Sony MiniDV camcorder. So, I need the capability of editing large 20 minute video segments down to small segments for placing in a timeline. I've been using an old version of ULead, which works but is cumbersome.

I found a good deal on Sony Vegas Movie Studio for $46 after rebate. A co-worker is using an older version of the Sony program and likes it. For the price, is this a decent program?

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yep, most reviews give good ratings to that Sony program. You might double-check to make sure that is the most recent version of the program.

Also, the Adobe program discussed above will do what you're asking about (dividing a video into segments automatically). It runs about $85, or you can buy it in a package with Adobe Photoshop Elements for about $120 or so.

11. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

If anybody's looking for a stand-alone editing program, here is the absolute best one I've found:

http://www.videoredo.com/

$49.99, and worth every single penny, IMO.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Is Photoshop Elements a complete digital image editing program or a plug-in for Photoshop? I've just been using the software that came with my Canon digital camera for photo cleanup, so I could use something better. That package price would be a good deal to take care of both needs (photo and video editing).

13. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It's a complete program that is supposed to be very good. Check Amazon and Ebay for the packages. Make sure you get the newest versions of each in the package. I never used Premiere Elements 1.0, but I understand that 2.0 is significantly better.

14. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer